Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card question

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

I have a question about video cards. Computer has an onboard video adapter Intel 82915G/GV/910GL express chipset with 128 mb of video ram. My nephew is trying to install Ages of Empires III which calls for 64mb of video ram with support for hardware transformation and lighting. What is "support for hardware transformation and lighting"? I was going to get a new video card but i am limited. This is an older computer, Compaq dc5100 MT, 3.0 GHz, 1gb of ram with a 300w power supply and one PCI 1 express slot open, running XP Pro. Power supply does not have any extra connectors. Mostly I am trying to figure out what "support for hardware transformation and lighting" is.

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Reddoug
I`m not the best at technical explanations but hopefully this will make sense :)
Hardware transformation and lighting is a form of hardware accelerator primarily for video, Intel were reluctant to adopt it hence the difficulty you are having and unfortunately the only way round it is to fit an add on PCI video card with the capability, these however do not come cheap so you may decide it is not worth the outlay. an example at the attached link; http://www.newegg.co...82E16814139010R

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Thanks for the explanation. I will see what I can find.

Doug

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome :)