Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media player question for XP

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I am not sure which forum to ask this, so if I am in the wrong one...sorry. Anyway, I have no trouble ripping songs from cds with my windows media player, and have created a playlist of favorite songs.

What I can't figure out is once the new songs have been added to my library and playlist, the newer added songs won't play in a row without stopping. In this instance I added three new songs and they will play if I click on them, but stops after playing one song, and won't continue playing the other songs in the play list.

What settings do I go to to change this so you can click on the playlist and all the songs will play from start to finish? Seems like a simple thing, but frustrating!!
Thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
When you drag from the Library to the Playlist and then save that playlist. if you then add to that playlist, you must then save the new playlist.
I think that is the answer please clarify

I am offline for a couple of hours from now so does this help
http://windows.micro...er/11/playlists

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 August 2011 - 12:17 PM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
No, I must still be doing something wrong. I added the songs to a playlist, went to "now playing list" and selected "save as", save in playlists. then I got "it already exists in that location", do you want to save new version, so I clicked yes. Maybe I am not starting up right when I go to play my favorite playlist? I open the playlist, highlight a song and then start playing it. Is there another way I should open it to play?

I don't get what is different, because the playlist I have added it to will play one song after another, except for the 3 new songs I have added to it. I am now confused totally...
Is there something I should tick in the command "play" list? Sorry I can't explain this problem better for you..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Will the three new songs play if you create a playlist containing JUST those three.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Yes, they will play if I double click on them. They are all saved to my library in Mp3 form. I created a new playlist with just those 3 songs and two others, and they seem to play in a row. I don't know what I did differently, or why I can't get them to play in the original list.

Maybe I should erase all my old lists and start with new ones. Before I had it set to add a song to a playlist by double clicking, and I removed that option and tried dragging them. But by doing that, it brought a whole bunch of songs to the list all at once, and I did not highlight them. I guess I will just have to keep playing around with this, you can tell I have no idea what I am doing. Ugh!!
Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you go to the playlists, presumably stored in My Music.
Right click on My Playlist and click open. Is there any files there except the WMP playlist files.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 August 2011 - 05:03 PM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Opened it that way, and there is one named Pixautoplay list. Not sure what that is, I used to use a slideshow program with Pix in the title, but anyway, should it be there?

There are also some single song files in there, I am wondering if single songs should be in a playlist folder like that?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
After you add the new songs to your playlist try to save it under another name to see if you will get the same results.

Also verify if any of the songs on your playlists have been deleted from your computer but not from your playlist.

I personally never use WMP to create my playlists since i do not like the procedures needed to create playlists, I use Oddgravity Playlist Creator 3.6 a very small program easy to use and you do not even have to install it on your computer just double click and it starts.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Is the Pixauto play file safe to remove? I assume it is, but want to make sure. And I did create a new playlist, and it seems to work. Don't know why they woulnd't play on an old list. I think the Media center is a little complicated.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Is that file a WPL file or a M3U file or something else.

If you click on the Pixauto file does it start, or like you said it was associated to a program you use to have and not anymore.

If you are sure it is not associated to any program then deleting it should be no problem.

Advertisements

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
No, it appears empty and does not start, so I deleted it. Also, there are several single song files in the "my playlists" folder. I wonder why they are in that folder, and if they are needed? If I delete them out of there, will it take them from my library of songs too? I have no idea why they are in there in the first place..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NO The Library is stored in documents and settings, local settings, application data which is a hidden folder so to view you will need to open My Computer, click the Tools tab, click Folder Options click the view tab and scroll down to check show hidden files and folders. Click Apply and OK.
You will then see the folder application data. Open that and you will then find a folder Microsoft, open that and you will find another one Media Player. open that and you will see your library files, plus other files for media player.
So you will then end up here.
C:\Documents and Settings\Your name or whatever you sign in under.\Local Settings\Local settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

The actual music is not there of course that is stored in your Music folder presumably.

Your playlist is separate from your library.

Does this help to explain it further
Delete/Repair the Windows Media Player Library
If you have moved your music around on your hard drives, Windows Media Player continues to add new entries into it's library instead of modifying the existing ones. This means that you will now have multiple entries for the same song, half of which will not work now because you have moved the files to their new location. To delete the current library and build a new one, do the following:

1. Close Windows Media Player, wait about 3 seconds for the database to close.

2. Using "My Computer", navigate to the following folder:
F (or whatever drive is appropriate for you):\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index

3. Delete the "wmplibrary....db" file here. This is not your actual music, only the database which Windows Media Player uses as a listing.

4. Start Windows Media Player

5. Hit "F3" and enter the location where you have moved your music to. If it is on muliple drives, check "All Drives". Let it finish.

Tha above as you will see is actually about a slightly different issue but it does I think answer your questions.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 August 2011 - 01:53 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
bettei
Are you still having problems with your issue or is everything now running correctly?
It has been 8 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I removed a playlist and started over,and it seems to be working now. I was a little afraid to remove the whole thing like you gave instructions to do.

Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am pleased you got it working, but with respect I NEVER suggested deleting the whole library.
I simply pointed out that deleting the library did not delete your music as WMP asks do you wish to delete from just the library or from your computer as well.

NO The Library is stored in documents and settings, local settings, application data which is a hidden folder so to view you will need to open My Computer, click the Tools tab, click Folder Options click the view tab and scroll down to check show hidden files and folders. Click Apply and OK.
You will then see the folder application data. Open that and you will then find a folder Microsoft, open that and you will find another one Media Player. open that and you will see your library files, plus other files for media player.
So you will then end up here.
C:\Documents and Settings\Your name or whatever you sign in under.\Local Settings\Local settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

The actual music is not there of course that is stored in your Music folder presumably.

Your playlist is separate from your library.

I then added the further details - asking if it helped further to explain this.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 August 2011 - 03:02 PM.