Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio BIOS Password Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DACJR

DACJR

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I have a Sony Vaio and my friends Sony Vaio has a BIOS lock on it. I can not find the CMOS battery. What I think is the battery is not removable. It is solderd in. Anyway, Sony wants a receipt and $50 to give him a one time password to get around the BIOS password. When you enter the wrong password 3 times the laptop asks for the one-time password from Sony. It also gives you a key to give to Sony. I assume they use this key to generate a password to unlock it. The problem is that my friend does not have his receipt anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew if the keys are model specific. If I call sony and tell them I forgot my password and proof of my purchase. When they ask for the key, I give them the key from my friends laptop instead. Do you think the password they give me will work? Or does anyone know of any third-party websites that will also generate a password for me using the key that is given? Or is there some other way to get around this BIOS password. It has a pheonix BIOS I think. Can't be sure as I've never seen the computer passed this BIOS password. I also do not have a floppy drive to use password crackers.

My friends laptop is a PCG-8.....something, it's from 2006 I think. Mine was bought in 2009 and it's a CW I think.
Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong forumn for this thread.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in bypassing past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests. This topic is closed for the above mentionedreasons.

If you have any questions about the TOU please contact a Moderator or Admin for clarification.