Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update and Startup issues

• Please log in to reply

Rydon

Rydon

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello, I had a previous thread which was located here.
http://www.geekstogo...dell-wont-boot/

The person who was helping me told me to open a new thread in this place.

The issue is that at first my computer would not boot at all, it continued to take me to windows startup repair. After several failed attempts and scans for malware, nothing was found so I did a system restore to factory settings. Since I did a system restore, every time I attempt to do a windows update the same problem happens. I am unable to start up my system, it takes me to startup repair, and repair allows me to boot up my system again, however the windows updates are not installed. Every time this happens it changes my date and time settings. Also, frequently in Firefox or Internet Explorer a random redirect ad such as this one (http://mishave.com/g...594&kw=ron_NONE) appear. I don't know the cause of either of these. I've run a dozen scans and nothing can be found but I know that this isn't normal. Please help. I have disabled Windows Updates for now.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Flush the DNS cache and restore MS's original Hosts file:

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Right click on the flush.bat file to run it as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Next, follow the instructions here http://social.techne...08-6bc54d86c7d0

Rydon

Rydon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I don't completely understand the instructions.

I deleted the software distribution folder. But it wouldn't let me completely delete it, it said that it was open in another process or program. Up until that I'm fine. I ran the .bat file

Edited by Rydon, 01 August 2011 - 04:38 PM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Type services.msc in the start search bar, then click on the gear icon. Scroll down to Windows updates, right click, choose properties and make sure it's set to 'automatic' and started.

Rydon

Rydon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
It says automatic and it is started.
(Edit 1)
I restored the system to factory settings and everything was fine until I tried to install the windows updates. The redirecting/popup issues with firefox were nonexistent until i tried installing updates. After I tried windows updates the startup issues came back. And then after that the popup/redirecting issues came back. The first time it redirected me, it tried to download a .bin file. I'm resetting the system again and not installing any windows updates. Please help.
(Edit 2)
The redirecting came back even without any windows updates.
(Edit 3)

I may have a lead. The attached picture. If that helps with anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• screencap.png

Edited by Rydon, 05 August 2011 - 08:40 PM.