Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq Presario Laptop Problem

• Please log in to reply

Simmy

Simmy

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
;)

I have recently purchased a secondhand compaq presario 1246 from e-bay. When I use it, it frequently switches itself off. Once it has switched itself off it wont switch back on. It sometimes wont switch back on for days. I think it may have a problem with overheating, but dont understand why it doesn't switch back on once it has cooled down. I got 2 batteries with it and have tried both. I have also tried it with the power supply connected and unconnected and it still does it.

Any help would be very much appriciated. I have some university course work i need to get off and finish for next week and am starting to get a little worried.

The idiot who sold it me on e-bay wont reply to my e-mails and has now been removed as a member so no chance of a refund :tazz:

Simmy

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Simmy, welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you tried going to HP/Compaq web page and searching their support page for information about this problem on this model? I would try that first. It may be a known issue at HP and have a solution there. Did you get an owners manual or any other documentation with that? How about a recovery or install cd. When you start messing around inside the box, you may need those. You could probably get a manual on hp/compaq's web site.

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi austin,

Thanks a lot for the advice!
When i realised the problem i decided to re-format the hard drive and re-install windows. This didnt help and caused me more problems as it was switching itself off half way through the format or half way through the re-install. When i did eventually get windows installed it was still doing the same. I will have a look on the compaq website to see if there is anything on there.

Thanks again

Simmy