Your PC is now clean
First we'll remove the tools that we've used then look at preventing getting infected again. It's important to remove the tools as it also removes the malware that we currently have quarantined.
Please do the following:
Reset SR Points/Clean up with OTL:
- Double-click OTL to start the program.
- Copy the lines from the codebox to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):
- Return to OTL, right-click in the Custom Scans/Fixes window and choose Paste.
- Then click the Run Fix button.
- Let the program run unhindered. When finished click on OK and close the log that appears.
- Note: I do not need to review the log produced.
- Now close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot.
- On the OTL main screen, depress the CleanUp button.
- Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
The above process will flush old System Restore Points and create a new clean one.
Please delete aswMBR and any remaining logs from your desktop.
A few tips to prevent reinfection
1. Protection Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you download the following free programs:
SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place. It also consumes no system resources.
SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute. It offers real time protection.
MalwareBytes to remove any malware that might slip the net and get through. I recommend that you run this at least once a week.
It is essential that you regularly check and install the latest Windows Updates. Vulnerabilities within Windows can leave your computer open to infection. Regular updates are released to fix these security vulnerabilities. I recommend that you set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.
Select Control Panel
Click on Automatic (recommended)
Set the day and time for the update check. Set this to a time when your computer will normally be on and connected to the internet.
Click Apply then OK.
As with Windows, Java also needs to be regularly updated to fix security vulnerabilities. You can download the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from here. Download, install and reboot your computer. You also need to uininstall older versions of Java.
Select Control Panel
Select Add or Remove Programs
Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
You should ensure you use the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader and install any security updates that are released. Older versions are susceptible to attack. You can download the latest reader and updates from here.
5. Firewall and antivirus.
A firewall is essential to stop hackers infiltrating your computer. The following firewalls are free for personal use. Do not install more than one firewall.
Zone Alarm is an excellent free basic firewall which is very easy to use.
Online Armor is a more advanced firewall which includes a Host Intrusion Protection System (HIPS).
Comodo is a combined firewall and anti virus.
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet you might like to read this GeeksToGo article. This covers some of the safety measures that I've included and also some more.
Happy surfing and stay safe