Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD 7b after running Hitman pro for redirects- I'm DOA

• Please log in to reply

jdhughen

jdhughen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, I just realized I should have posted here first, my bad..

I was trying to get rid of "google redirects". tried using many things then was directed to "hitman Pro 3.5". ran that and it found a rootkit form of tdss. Told it to repair, it crashed (hungup froze). On reboot get BSOD 0x000000007B (0xFFFFF880009A98E8, .........)
Tried bootrec /fixMBR, /FixBoot, no luck
When I run /ScanOs it returns "Total identified Windows installations: 0 !!! what's up with that ?
When I use the windows DVD disk to get to recovery Prompt it sees the windows install on the c:\ drive.
Tried restoring a recovery point but it doesn't see any to use. I know for a fact there was one on there from 7/27. I do have a c:\ drive disk image but it's a year old. If I end up having to start from scratch I'll go there, at least I'll get the OS and most of my main software (Adobe CS5, Office, 3dMax). But I would really like to try to recover what I've put on since then. All my personal data files are stored on the D: dirve. Other program install files have been copied off C:\ to a safe location on another drive.

So first I have to find a way to get windows to boot again. Please help

thanks

Joel Hughen

I need to add that I did also try restoring my last good registry save but no change. will still not boot.
If I try to boot in safe mode I can see that it hangs on classpnp.sys just before it gor BSOD. I tried renaming classpnp.sys to .bak but then it just hung on disk.sys and BSODed, so I switched it all back.

Also I've tried to run OTL but it won't work from the recovery console, I keep getting the error message "the subsystem needed to support the image type is not present"

I need a fix that will work from the recovery prompt window. that's all I can get up.

thanks

Edited by jdhughen, 01 August 2011 - 10:35 PM.

Advertisements

jdhughen

jdhughen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I found an instance where someone said that installing another instance of windows on my "D:" drive creating a dual boot situation would force a clearing up of the Bootmgr file and posiably give me access to my original install of windows. once that was done I could delete the second OS install. Is there any truth to this approach ? I'm desparate to do something soon. I can't afford too much more down time.

thanks

joel