Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i installed a new harddrive in am old notebook however when i turn notebook on i dont get any sigh to allow me to boot from the cd.
the fan comes and the lights come on and i press f2 but do dont get any other messages.
it is a very old hp.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Try the del key. What's the exact model?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to CD drive first and the HDD second?

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button (it may be F1, F2, F8, F10 etc)
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

If you do not do this the computer is looking for a non existent OS on an unknown device, also be sure to format and then partition the new HDD before installing the OS, hope this helps and keep us posted.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does it work if you put the old hard drive back in?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
sory everybody. i hate to waste peoples time. when i tried to installe xp it shut off because it was not plugged up. the battery is not that good.
when i tried to install the xp again i could not get it to start. i waited an hour and it did fine. xp is up and running.
i will go on the net in the next minute or so and start the updates.

one question. the screen is only taking upabout half of the screen if that makes sence. it looks like it is restored down. how can i restore it to full screen?

thanks again for all and sory again

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Change the resolution to what ever is recommended for that laptop, 1024x768 or higher.

Right click on the Desktop and select Properties.
Click the Settingstab.
Change the Screen resolution.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
screen resolution tip worked thanks allot.

however after i installed xp and advast i restarted the notebook and i started having problems.

when the notebook tried to boot it will get to the xp screen and cut off. it was doing this with the old hard drive too. it was for this reason i was thinking the hard drive was bad.

if i try to boot from cd it will stay on but if i try to boot with out the cd it will just cut off and on over and over.

it it a hp pavilion ze5600.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
any ideas on this one?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Did you follow the recommended procedure as listed below;

1. Connect the AC adapter to the notebook.
2. Insert the Restore CD (or the Operating System) disk 1 into the notebook’s CD/DVD drive. If the
notebook is turned off, use a pin or straightened paper clip to press the release switch on the drive
door to open it.
3. Turn on or restart the notebook.
4. When the HP logo appears, press esc to display the Boot menu.
5. Use the arrow keys to select the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device, and then press enter.
6. When the dialog box appears, follow the displayed instructions. If prompted, accept the
recommended partition size.
To create the Utility partition without installing the factory software, select Advanced, and then
select not to install the operating system.
If the hard disk is partitioned into several logical drives, you can install the factory software on
drive C without affecting other drives. select Advanced and then select to restore only the C partition.
7. When prompted to reboot the notebook, press ctrl+alt+del, and then follow any instructions that appear.
8. When the operating system has been installed and while Windows is running, replace the
OS CD with the Driver Recovery CD. If autorun is not enabled, select Start > Run. Then type
D:\SWSETUP\APPINSTL\SETUP.EXE (assuming “D:” is your drive designation), and then press enter.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions for installing the drivers.
10. After the drivers have been installed, the application software may be installed.
Can I also ask what type of XP installation disk you are using!

EDIT: From post #3 also be sure to format and then partition the new HDD before installing the OS, this is vital in order to get a clean install.

Edited by phillpower2, 04 August 2011 - 07:42 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
No I used boot from cd with new op system

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i got it to boot in safe mode but that was all.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i spent some time in on the notebook today. i was able to boot it in safe mode and go on line and it worked ok but i cannot get it to boot normally.

does anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
See post #9 and confirm whether you have followed the steps suggested there.
When you are able to boot into Safe Mode is the correct time and date displayed?
If not reset them in the BIOS, save and exit, shut down, remove the battery and
AC adapter, press the power on button for a while then reassemble and reboot.
Are the correct time and date still displayed?
If not it may suggest that the CMOS battery has died and will need to be replaced.
Your service manual http://www.hp.com/ct...l/c00246219.pdf
See page 91 for replacing the CMOS battery and page 125 for the BIOS set up.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey i have tried all that you asked me to try but i had no luck. right now i would like to try and replace the little battery that you told me about. i have seen them before

i tried to open the link for the manual that you gave me however i cannot get it to open.

what program do i need to use to open this program?

this computer that am on is very basic one that i have repaired and it just has the basic programs like java.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Internet Explorer should be fine, it is a full document so it will not display immediately, are you on dial-up or broadband, that will also make a difference.