Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
For a .pdf file (the link philpower gave you), you need Adobe Reader or Foxit PDF Reader.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
Ok. Thanks I will see what I can do.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
well i reinstalled windows just like it was recommended. the computer worked very well. i downloaded avast and everything worked fine.

i restarted the notebook and the computer started shutting down again. it will try and book and the shut down.

i went back in dois and selected boot from hard drive and it notebook will still shut down.

not sure this time what is going on.

i was asked what version of xp. it is 2002 home edition.

i did not replace the little battery inside but if this is needed i will do this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

well i reinstalled windows just like it was recommended. the computer worked very well. i downloaded avast and everything worked fine.

Was this after booting from the HDD or immediately after installing XP and the XP disk still in the drive?

i restarted the notebook and the computer started shutting down again. it will try and book and the shut down.

As if there is no operating system on the HDD or no HDD detected.

i went back in dois and selected boot from hard drive and it notebook will still shut down

Again may suggest that there is no operating system on the HDD.

i did not replace the little battery inside but if this is needed i will do this.

Yes please change this, if the battery is bad it will not save your boot sequence.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
?1. this was after I reinstalled windows from disk. ?2. I don't think so. It is like it is trying to boot. I see logo then it shuts off and trys to reboot. It will boot in safe mode with networking. ?4. I will do this but it will take a while. Looks like I will have to take allot of parts to get to it. I will let you know. Like you gave is nice.
I never would have thought about this little battery.
My old hp is about 10 years old and still has same one.
Thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking and download the laptop drivers from http://h20000.www2.h...SeriesId=384678
If not download and save them to disk and try and install them that way, it is possible that because it is an older laptop that XP does not have all the drivers the laptop needs to operate, install the chipset drivers first in any event.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
well i finally got around to changing the little battery in the notebook but i am still having to boot it in safe mode. the notebook will work good in safe mode but i cannot get it to boot normally.
when i turn the computer on it will boot till it get to the xp logo then it will shut off and restart.

i am a little lost on this one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Did you do as I suggested in post #21

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
Yes. I did and I also went on safe mode and down loaded the drivers tooo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
If you are able and know the brand name of the HDD try running the diagnostic tool appropriate for your drive when in safe mode http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
This is a strange one as being able to function in safe mode would normally suggest a driver issue!

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

If you are able and know the brand name of the HDD try running the diagnostic tool appropriate for your drive when in safe mode http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
This is a strange one as being able to function in safe mode would normally suggest a driver issue!

well i tried to start in safe mofe to look at the like that is listed above to try and test the hard drive.
i was unable to start in safe mode bacause the xp had not been registered within 30 days. so i was not able to open in safe mode.

so then i descided to one more time to get this thing working.

i reinstalled windows and as soon as it was installed i registered the xp.

i then went to the link and downloaded all the drivers that was listed for this notebook.
everything was working like clock work.

i then reread all the post and checked the clock and made sure that it had the correct time just to see if this was working correctly as well

then last thing i restarted the notebook about 3 times. everything was working great. i was starting to think that i was finished

so the last thing i did was downloaded avast and installed it. after that i registered the avast.

after this i restarted the notebook and i was back to the same problem.

the notebooks starts to boot i see the xp home logo the it will click and start over.
i am using the notebook now in safe mode and surfing windows but this is it.

i just went to the link to test the harddrive and i found the name of the hard drive that i installed. every link that i tried to download wanted me to make a disk. i tried this and i got a message saying i could not open the program or no disk drive was found.
this does not make sence because i used the disk drive to set up the wireless card to go on line and i works great.

i am not sure this time because i have an hp too that i use that is about 10 years old. i just installed a hd this year and i works like it did when i bought it, however this hp is not going to work for me or my dad for some reason.

one more thing i am thinking that the hard drive that i took out of this notebook is good because the notebook was acting the same way. it was for this reason that i replaced the hd.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Does it work if you put the old hard drive back in?

Have you tried the suggestion made by Ztruker in post #4
Couple of questions for you, how much Ram do you have and have you tried uninstalling Avast to see if the problem goes away.
I asked about the Ram and Avast in case you do not have enough free Ram to run the additional software or to see if Avast itself was causing the issue, if this is the case try Microsoft Security Essentials as an alternative free AV
http://www.microsoft...ls/default.aspx

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
well i did not put the old hard drive in because it was for this same reason that i bought the new one. i was having the same problem.
the computer is working great in safe mode with networking. i have been using it for about 2 hours this morning

as far as ram i am not sure but i feel that it should have plenty of memory. idont have nothing on the notebook since i just installed xp.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Have you tried replacing Avast as suggested?

as far as ram i am not sure but i feel that it should have plenty of memory. idont have nothing on the notebook since i just installed xp

This does not mean that all installed Ram is working, check it to make sure by first using the Windows memory diagnostic tool;
Please download Windows Memory Diagnostic,Save it to somewhere you will remember.
PreparationAfter downloading the tool, run it and accept the EULA.You will be asked to either make a floppy disk or create a CD image.If you want to use a floppy disk, insert a floppy disk and hit the top button.If you want to use a CD then hit the bottom button and save the 'windiag.iso' to a place you can remember.Once you have saved the 'windiag.iso' you will have to burn it to disk, a good program to use is ISO Recorder.
Starting the DiagnosticsNow you should have the CD burnt or the floppy created. The next step will be to run the diagnostics.Insert your CD or floppy and reboot the computer. You should get prompted to boot from the CD or floppy.If you didn't get prompted to boot from CD or floppy you will have to change the Boot Order in the BIOS so that CD or floppy comes before the hard drive.
The ResultsOnce the Diagnostics start running, let it run for about 4 full passes. Preferably overnight.When the scan has done 4 full passes, or an overnight scan, look at the bottom of the screen.The bottom of the screen will indicate if any errors have been found.If errors have been found please check how many under the "results" part of the bottom table.You can then reboot your machine by pressing the 'X' key.Please report back with your findings.

Thanks to Artellos for the above instructions.

EDIT: A guide to running Memtest86+ if you would prefer using it http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Edited by phillpower2, 10 September 2011 - 06:41 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
Ok I will try this this tonight. I will make the cd my other notebook and try to run it. I really appreciate the advice.