Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Ok I will look out for an update, if the Ram passes the testing then we can look at software including drivers as the cause and you are welcome.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
Please download Windows Memory Diagnostic,

when i click on this link all i get is a blank page.

Thanks to Artellos for the above instructions.

EDIT: A guide to running Memtest86+ if you would prefer using it http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/
[/quote]

when i click on this link i get instructions for taking out the ram and running the program. well atleast something like this. it is a little confusing

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Here are my instructions for downloading and running memtest86:

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thank i will give it a try this evening

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
lets see i was trying to unzip the file but i have not done this in a long time. tried to download java but notebook want let me because in safe mode.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hi.
I am only coming in on the thread, just to reply while phillpower2 and Ztruker are offline to save you waiting.
I think I remember posting on one of your threads sometime in the recent past.

To unzip, simply right click and click on extract.
Does this help you from the link that phillpower2 gave you for the illustrated guide to Memtest
  • First Download Memtest f
  • There are several downloads to choose from. For this CD Version you require the link that says:
    Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
  • Download the file to your desktop.
  • If you are using Windows XP or Vista then you can right click the file and choose Extract All
Can you not use another computer to make the ISO and then use the CD in this computer.
The main aspect is that you must use a burning program that will make the CD from the ISO image hence the link to Imgburn.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2011 - 07:29 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hi.
I am only coming in on the thread, just to reply while phillpower2 and Ztruker are offline to save you waiting.
I think I remember posting on one of your threads sometime in the recent past.

To unzip, simply right click and click on extract.
Does this help you from the link that phillpower2 gave you for the illustrated guide to Memtest

• First Download Memtest f
  • There are several downloads to choose from. For this CD Version you require the link that says:
    Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
  • Download the file to your desktop.
  • If you are using Windows XP or Vista then you can right click the file and choose Extract All
Can you not use another computer to make the ISO and then use the CD in this computer.
The main aspect is that you must use a burning program that will make the CD from the ISO image hence the link to Imgburn.

hey my friend you have helped me allot in the past and i am very thankful.

ok i did lownload the file to the desk top. then i did select extract. this make another icon on my desk top. so now do i select this file and burn it to a cd?

also it was asked earlier to unstall advast and now i am able to boot normally.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well - that is good news.
The uninstall of Avast - and all now apparently OK.
CAUTION - I presume you have installed another AV program.

On the face of it now you do not need to bother with Memtest, but if you now have the ISO image icon, then yes burn the ISO image using Imgburn.
A normal burning program will not work.

You could indeed make the CD and then you always have it available.

Did you download the AVAST from the AVAST site.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i am still a little lost. i did download the file the i selected extract all. this created a file with a zipper on it on my desk top. now what do i need to do?

i do not have another antivirus installed. i wanted to run this test to see what was wrong and then try and use avast again. i just went to yahoo and typed in avast and downloaded the free version.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After this post I am signing off. It is 0300 here in UK.

Whatever you do - do not browse the internet on that computer without an anti-virus and firewall.
It is really risky.

Re the ISO. I can at this stage only refer you back to the guide from this site - GeekstoGo that phillpower2 provided you with and I quoted from.
Ztruker then provided you with additional guidance, as you opined that the other link dealt with remving memory.
That is because if you have at least two sticks of ram, the physical test is always better than Memtest. However that only applies when the error believed to be caused by the faulty ram is readily apparent.

An icon with a zip, indicates a zipped file. You right click that icon, you then click Extract All and then you are offered the choice of where to extract to.
This maybe where you are going wrong and you have already extracted but not to the desktop.So now go to where the extract all has sent the ISO image to.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2011 - 08:08 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Thanks to both Ztruker and Macboatmaster respectively for your input.
From post #27

Couple of questions for you, how much Ram do you have and have you tried uninstalling Avast to see if the problem goes away.
I asked about the Ram and Avast in case you do not have enough free Ram to run the additional software or to see if Avast itself was causing the issue, if this is the case try Microsoft Security Essentials as an alternative free AV
http://www.microsoft...ls/default.aspx

As Macboatmaster has said you may not need to run Memtest now but this depends on whether you can install the suggested MSE (or an alternative) without any issues, is this the case?
There are other free AV programs available see Admins tutorial @ http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/ MSE was suggested purely to make sure you were protected should you uninstall Avast.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i went to system and it shows that i have 704mb of ram. i not sure if i am looking in the correct place. control panel the system.
if this is not correct let me know and i will look elsewhere.
i tried to down lode mse and it will not let me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
The amount of available Ram would not appear to be the problem then.

i tried to down lode mse and it will not let me.

Can you explain why you cannot download MSE, have you completely removed Avast first?

EDIT: Avast uninstaller should you need it http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Edited by phillpower2, 11 September 2011 - 06:53 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i tried to reinstall the mse again but it sais paige cannot be dispayed. the first time i got a system error
when i uninstalled avast i went to add and remove programs.
i called my dad this morning and told him what you said and he said that he did try and add memory to the notebook about 6 months ago. i did not know this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

i tried to reinstall the mse again but it sais paige cannot be dispayed. the first time i got a system error

This can be caused by remnants of Avast still being in the system and causing conflicts, run the Avast removal tool and see if that helps then try again, try AVG from the link I provided if you have to (did you read the AV information)

when i uninstalled avast i went to add and remove programs.

This is what can leave traces of Avast and lead to conflicts.