Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sandboxie

• Please log in to reply

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Hi all,

I was just wondering, how do you think about Sandboxie?
And more specific, do you install (not only run) new software in Sandboxie? How does that turn out for you?

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i like the idea of sandboxie that why i use avast

avast

below a summery of the link so you dont have to look for the sandbox part ;-)

its probably cheaper then sandboxie and a virus scanner so why not make it one like avast does

don't pin me on this but i think the FREEversion of avast has sandbox included as well!!!

hope this will help you a little bit!

AutoSandbox New

Prompts users to run suspicious applications in the virtual Sandbox environment.
avast! Sandbox

Provides an extra layer of security for you to run your PC and its applications in a virtual environment – where any attacks are thus targeted (instead of your real PC).

OS supported:

Windows XP SP2+ 32-bit
Windows Server 2003, Vista, 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) only RTM versions are supported (Windows 7 SP1 RC is currently also supported)

OS not supported:

Windows 2000
Windows XP 64-bit (with any SP installed)
Windows Server 2003 64-bit

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Yeah I know a lot of (free) AV systems have to ability to run something in a sandbox. I always run "new" or "unknown" software in a sandbox, if only to check what it actually does my system. Thanks for the link Posted Image
Sandboxie itself is an independent piece of freeware I've been trying lately, in stead of the Sanbox-function of my Internet Security.

I totally agree with you on the fact every separate layer is a form of defense.

And I was wondering if anyone else has particularly good or bad experiences with this, as I seem to not download a lot of infections lately Posted ImagePosted Image
For example, would a root-kit (assuming it has penetrated my firewall and AV undetected already) hidden in a software I run in a sandbox protect me against actual MBR infection? I'm not talking about some Adware, but rather the serious types of dirt out there, like keyloggers, hijackers and root-kits, to name a few.

I'm not afraid this happened already to me or anything, but I'm just very curious about your experiences...