Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

PC cuts out on boot screen after installing Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good evening all. I hope someone could help me with a problem I have encountered whilst installing Radeon Sapphire X800 GTO pci-e graphics card.

Having physically installed the card, and rebooted the PC it will power up and the boot screen appears on the monitor but within approximately 30 seconds the PC just switches off/ cuts out. Even if I interrupt the boot by pressing delete and enter the Bios settings, the PC still cuts out after approx 30 seconds.

I checked the settings for my Motherboard (ECS Geforce 6100PM M2 V2.0) and it states that after installing a PCI-e card it will automatically detect and disable the on-board graphics controller, which I presume it is doing as I do get to see the boot screen on the monitor.

So I am now left wondering whether I should have carried out any other task before installing the card. Or is the issue that the PSU (WinPower ATX450W) is not up to the job? Or maybe even if the card is compatible with my motherboard.

Any advice is will be gratefully received.

Cheers in advance of any replies.

ps: this is my first post so if I have left any vital peice of information out, please let me know.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,735 posts
Hi airwalk73 :)
Did you install the drivers for the new card before you actually fitted and ran it?
If not remove the card and use the MBs integrated video chip to either download or
install the cards drivers, when you refit the card make sure that all connections are
secure, remove the Ram stick/s, blow out the slots then reseat the Ram securely do
the same with the GFX card and slot.
Whilst your PSU is not brilliant it should be capable of supporting your system and card,
whilst you are still connected to the MBs integrated video chip download and run Speedfan
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php take a screenshot and post it with your next reply
so that your temps and voltages can be checked, let us know if you require assistance with
any of the above.