Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Hard drive trouble! Please help. :(

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if someone could please help me, well my friend! The situation is that my friend Chelsey's external hard drive won't recognize her laptop anymore after plugging it in her friend's laptop.

She has a Western Digital Terabyte hard drive and both the laptops were good. She told me that her friend was gonna transfer White Chicks (my fave movie) from her laptop to the hard drive which was plugged on Chelsey's laptop. She said that her laptop didn't recognize the hard drive at first then it did, but couldn't transfer White Chicks for some odd reason so they just cancelled it and didn't transfer anything.

After awhile, Chelsey's laptop was being a tard and wouldn't shut down so they tried CTRL + ALT + DEL and end tasks and shut it down. The next day, her hard drive doesn't recognize her laptop anymore and she blames her friend's laptop for it >.> but why does it do that? Chels said that whenever she plugs her hard drive on to her laptop, it doesn't do anything anymore so she thinks it's broken now or something.

Please help! Any suggestions or anything?

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
1) did the external make a clicking sound before it stopped working?

2) does it show up in disk management?

you get to disk management by clicking start then right click on computer and select manage, a window will pop up and then look for disk management. check if it shows there

3) did you download the WD tool to check the hard drive?

you can find that tool here download
don't look at the type a drive this is for this should work fine with WD externals as well!
used it more then once :)

one more thing is it a 2.5" or 3.5" drive?

Edited by dennisK16, 03 August 2011 - 03:20 PM.