Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Home Premium Recovery

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have an Asus G73 laptop that I am wanting to do a system recovery on. It works but it's very qwirky and has occasional lock ups. Somehow, one of the automatic Windows updates that was installed deleted all of my old restore points, all the way back to when I first bought the thing. Anyway, I can't get it to burn a full set of recovery disks which is apparently not that uncommon with these machine. Asus actualy responded to an inquiry I sent them (although it takes like, two weeks to get each reply. The dialog has been going on for weeks). They told me to go ahead and do the F9 on start up and tell it to restore the OS partition. I am wanting to do this but I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice or opinions anyone can give if they have done this procedure before.
- Asus recommended that I just do the "restore Windows to first partition only". This will leave the other partitions as is. I have a second partition that is for data, games, etc. There is also a third partition that is for MS Office 2010 if I ever decided to purchase the program and activate it. I have all the Office software I need from work so I don't need this third partition. Actualy what I would like to do is just have one large partition with everything on it, including the recovery directory and the OS, restored back to exactly like it was the day I got it. Can this be done with the F9 on start up method?
- My system, for whatever reason, won't create a full set of recovery disks. With this in mind, if I try a keyboard recovery, would there be a danger of the system having some kind of issue (with the recovery directory???) and stop the process somewhere in the middle and then not be able to get the OS back on the HDD and operational?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Things can always go wrong but usually the recovery from the hard drive partition works well. I've done it many times on many different make computers.

Since you can't create the recovery set, contact ASUS and have them send you the recovery DVD. You can then wait until it arrives or go ahead and try the F9 recovery. I would not mess with any partitioning at this time though. Wait until you have the system up and running correctly, then download Partition Wizard Home and use it to change your partitioning scheme.