Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with my first gaming build.

• Please log in to reply

drago165

drago165

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello i am new to the pc gaming realm and i am getting ready to build my own pc i have all the parts i think i need but would like someone with experience to review it and tell me if it is a good build, also i would like you to make sure i have everything i need and do not have any overpriced or unnecessary parts. i greatly appreciate your help thanks in advance. here is what i have

processor: i5 2500k

Motherboard: Asus p8p67 pro intel p67

RAM: patriot g2 series 8gb

Hard drive: western digital 1TB 7200 rpm

Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 560Ti

Sound card: Sound blaster audigy

Case: Azza helios 910

PSU: modxstream pro 600-watt

CPU cooler: cooler master hyper n520

also have 1600x900 monitor, keyboard, mouse and operating system.

Edited by drago165, 03 August 2011 - 02:02 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Several things.

1. Using a 3rd party cooler on the CPU voids the 3 year warranty. This is because the CPU comes packaged, sold and is warrantied, as "a single unit".

2. That motherboard has very capable integrated sound - a sound card is a waste of money.

3. You say you have the OS - understand that a OEM license of Windows that came with, or was bought for another computer is NOT transferable to a new computer. Doing so is illegal, and is considered theft. Note too with 8Gb, you need 64-bit OS.

4. That case is nice, but I personally will never buy another case that does not have a removable, washable filter.

drago165

drago165

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry i mislead you, i will be buying 64 bit windows 7 with all of it as well as the keyboard and mouse.

so i dont need the sound card and the cpu cooler will comprimise the warranty of the cpu so i will not get that.

how will this pc perform, will it be able a game like gta iv on high settings? oh and is 600 watts enough or should i go higher

also thank you for you help as i said before i greatly appreciate it.

Edited by drago165, 03 August 2011 - 03:14 PM.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
GTA IV is a major CPU and GPU hog, so thinking you can "max" it all out would be a dream.
But it will be very playable to say the least.

And yes, you might want to up the PSU a bit, in stead of the SoundBlaster.
600 Watt is probably enough, but gaming requires constant heavy loads on your system, so a bit more capabilities (750
watt or up) can't do you any harm. It only uses what it needs anyways.

Good luck Posted Image , are you going to assemble it yourself?

drago165

drago165

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah i will probably assemble it my self, so this is a good gaming computer to say the least though correct? so i dont mean to ramble or anything but this being my first computer build i dont want to get it and be dissapointed.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
As far as I can tell you'll be just fine!
If you are going to build it yourself:
  • Make sure you take your time
  • Make sure you have the right tools
  • Make sure you work in a reasonably clean and tidy environment, as you'll be working with delicate components
Last but not least watch out for static electricity when handling the PCU, GPU, Mobo and Ram. Ground yourself and your case before touching them.
TIP: most plumbing and central heating is ideal to ground yourself, but not during a thunderstorm. Ah and view this LINK for the GTG "how to guide" on building your own system.

Again, please keep us up-to-date on your progress, and your pics / experiences are always welcome here!

Good luck Posted Image

drago165

drago165

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
will do, i should be ordering very soon from tiger direct. and again thank you so much you have helped me a bunch. another question i was wondering about is a liquid cooling system necessary?

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Well, you could, but it's not necessary at all, unless you're planning at running it 24/7 as a gaming-server or something, in which case it could (and not more then could) make your system withstand prolonged heavy loads better, maybe.

It's another field of play, so I would say you first do a little research yourself.

drago165

drago165

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok do i have everything i need or did i miss somthing?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Liquid cooling is an alternative cooling, so again, it would void your warranty. Also, sadly, many newbie liquid cooling implementer fail to understand, or compensate for the fact motherboard designers intentionally place other heat generating and heat sensitive devices around the CPU socket so they too can take advantage of the air movement created by the "expected" CPU cooler. So while their CPU may be nice and cool, the voltage regulator circuits and chipset are suffering. And I note that long term exposure to high temps, even if not "excessive" or technically "hot", increases (speeds up) component aging. Not good.

so this is a good gaming computer to say the least though correct?

That's a loaded question. Note a "good" gaming machine can easily cost $2000, $3000, or more.

That graphics card has a recommended "minimum" PSU of 500W so your 600W is fine. However, Something a little bigger will likely have a little bigger cooling solution too, meaning the PSU fan may not have to run full speed (read: maximum noise) when taxed.

drago165

drago165

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no one has given me a straight answer yet, i know that gaming machines can cost alot of money, but im asking, with the set up i have put together is this machine going to perform well with gaming, meaning will i be able to run most moderen games at a decently high setting. i do not want to spend a grand on a machine and find out it is terrible so please give me your thoughts on the system its self. thanks

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
You can't expect miracles for a $1000,- but in my humble opinion I believe you'll have a blast playing your games at very reasonable settings and will feel very rewarded for building it yourself.

If the only consideration is playing GTA IV, you could consider getting yourself a PS3 with a nice screen to match it for about the same money...

Good luck Posted Image

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is not a matter of giving a straight answer or not. You are asking us if, in YOUR opinion, will you be happy with the game performance? None of us know YOU so we cannot really answer that.

It is important to note that game makers know that most users cannot afford monster game machines. So they code the games for acceptable "game play" on lessor machines, but without many of the awesome effects, backgrounds, and as wide "field of action".

Also, not all games are equal.