Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is replacing this CPU cooler a good idea?

• Please log in to reply

lo2

lo2

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have this problem that I think my desktop computer is a bit too noisy. I have been told by a friend that it is the CPU cooler who is the crook producing all that dreadful noise. I am not sure about which CPU cooler I have got in my computer right now. But I have got a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core CPU, so I guess it is the default cooler, is there such thing?

Another friend offered me to replace it with a CPU cooler from his now deceased desktop. I reckon it is about 3-4 years old. The CPU cooler it has got is this one: My link

My motherboard is this one: MSI 870A-G54, Socket AM3 ATX, AMD870+SB850, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16

I have been told that it is compatible, is that true? And do you think this is a good idea, taking the age of the other CPU cooler into consideration? And is it true that it should be let noisy?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First question is was the CPU and cooler bought together like a packaged deal or was the cooler bought separately?
I for one would not put a older cooler on and spend the money to get a guaranteed cooler for that CPU.
Next have you looked at the cooler to see if it is clogged up with dust?
Have you personally opened the system to make sure the noise is coming from the CPU cooler?
Replacing with a older cooler you may run the risk of not having enough cooler to do the job correctly.
Also what about replacement of the TIM or Thermal Paste as it is commonly called?
If you are going through all the time and cost to replace the cooler it is crazy not to clean the surfaces correctly and replace the TIM with new to guarantee a correct connection between the CPU and cooler.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
There are a couple things to consider. (1) AMD (and Intel too) warranties their CPUs and supplied coolers as "a unit". That means, if you use a 3rd party cooler with your AMD CPU, you void the 3 year warranty!

2. If you are not sure it is the original cooler, I would not replace it. To verify it is the CPU cooler, open the side panel then touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static. Then very carefully, touch the center hub of the fan for just a second. That will change the rotation speed, and the noise it makes. If that is the offending noise maker, you will immediately be able to tell by the change in the fan noise.

The Zalman is nice cooler. But note fan noise is caused by the blades chopping at the air, and by the bearings. If that Zalman has been used for 4 years, the bearing may be showing their age.