Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 login box filling up on startup, No stuck key error!

• Please log in to reply

spyhunter

spyhunter

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi all,

Hope someone can help! I have a compaq presario cq61 laptop which needed a new keyboard because of a spillage. I have replaced the keyboard and everything works perfectly except that, when you start or restart the machine, the login box immediately starts to fill up as though a key is held down. As soon as you press any key this process stops and you can delete the stars and type your password normally. From then on there's no repeat of the problem unless you restart the machine!

As it's only ever happening in the login box I have no idea what character(s) are being filled in and so cannot check any specific key :)

I don't know if the replacement keyboard is at fault or what! This was also happening before I replaced the keyboard, though some of the keys were not working either then. I sort of assumed replacing the keyboard would solve both issues but that's what you get for making assumptions!

TIA

Advertisements