Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD turns off

• Please log in to reply

dr_ashwinikumar

dr_ashwinikumar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I have a PIV WinXPPro + Win98SE, 256 MB RAM,40 GB Samsung HDD.

My HDD just turns off without any preceding error/stop messages and I can switch it on again with the keyboard password that turns on my HDD.This happens very frequently and is very disturbing.

I have searched the KB base and found nothing that helps me. I can't even figure whether this is a hardware or a software problem. My Norton Antivirus shows no infection.

Is it a faulty cable or faulty power unit ? Or is it just windows ? My 98 is not loading and showing an error message : " win.com not found". So I am unable to compare performances on the two OSs.

I believe I have two unrelated problems in the two OSs. Does anyone think they are connected? I am particularly worried about the former. The latter has a definite solution.

Dr Ashwinikumar :tazz:

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808

Please try to double check this settings.
  • Start then Control Panel
  • go to Performance and Maintenance
  • go to Power Options
  • setup your desired Turn Off Monitor, Turn off Hard disk, Standby durations.
  • confirm with OK
If the problems still occurs, please reply here and we will discuss other solutions.

Edited by kool808, 31 May 2005 - 09:27 AM.

dr_ashwinikumar

dr_ashwinikumar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Kool,

Thanks.

Have already done that. Chosen "never" in the "turn hard disk off" window. Doesn't work. Refitted the RAM properly in the slot. Doesn't help either.

Ash :tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
have you tried to turn off the hibernation option?

dr_ashwinikumar

dr_ashwinikumar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Will try that. But you really think it is that ? 'coz when it restarts, it is a new boot-up, not the kind after you hibernate.

Ash