Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your compute

• Please log in to reply

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
So, this is a most unusual problem I think I have here. All the Geeks that I know have no idea what the cause of this problem is, so now I'm going to you guys. :) OK, so currently I have an 20GB HD in my computer. I recently came across both a 40GB and an 80GB Hard Drive that some friends gave me. So, here's what happened: I put in the 80GB Hard Drive with the Windows XP Home Edition disc in my DVD ROM drive. I boot with Windows setup, and I get through the installation of XP onto the hard drive. Then, it reboots. When it reboots, it doesn't boot with the hard drive. It goes right back into Windows Setup and boots from the XP disc. When I get to the menu that says I can install XP, I press enter, and the error message appears that says no Hard Drive is installed in this computer. I rebooted, went into my BIOS, which said that IT couldn't detect a hard drive either. I tried all 3 of the Hard Drives that I have. The 20GB, the 40GB, and the 80GB. BIOS didn't detect any one of those. I made sure that everything was connected correctly, and I tried everything. Eventually, I tried plugging in a different power supply, which I found out by the time I turned it on, it was fried. So, after I unplugged that power supply, and plugged in the original one, I boot up my computer, I go into setup, and it can detect a Hard Drive again. So, I tried installing XP once more. It did the same as before. Installs, reboots, and can't detect a Hard Disk Drive... Then, I repeated the power supply process (because that was the only thing I did that worked) and tried it on the 40GB drive. Same. Eventually, I plugged my 20gb back in, and everything works fine. I am completely and utterly confused as to what to do... Any help??

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
To answer the questions in the order you have asked them

1. If your first boot device is the DVD drive, it will reboot to that, even after the install of windows.
At this stage in the clean install

Setup will show a progress box and reboot when copying files is complete.
When you see the "Press any Key to Reboot" do not Press any Key. If CD boots anyway, remove CD and reboot.

To answer what maybe the alternative porblem are you sure it did install.
If the "new drive" is a SATA drive, you may well need to have the SATA driver ready and press F6 to install from floppy or a slipstreamed CD as the XP CD may well not see a Sata hard drive

Does this help
http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

and if it is SATA here is the link to NLite the most commonly used method of inocrporating Sata drivers in the CD
http://www.nliteos.c...uide/part1.html
OR you can simply download the Sata driver to a floppy if the computer is so equipped and then on the install setup key F6 when offered that option and point then to the floppy.
Toward the beginning of this process, a message will appear that says Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.... As long as you are installing from a Windows XP SP2 CD, this step is probably not necessary. On the other hand, if you're installing from an older version of the Windows XP installation CD and you have an SATA hard drive, you will need to press F6 here to load any necessary drivers. The instructions that came with your new hard drive should include this information.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 August 2011 - 04:40 PM.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
The Hard Drive that I have is a Western Digital WD800. The sticker on it says 'Enhanced IDE Hard Drive'. <--- That means it's NOT an SATA drive... right? I've tried removing the XP disc, but that doesn't work. "Press f1 to retry boot, press f2 to run setup utility" The link you gave me does not help. I know for a fact that XP was installed on this Hard Drive, because when I go through the power supply process and try installing XP again, it says the disk already has an A:/Windows folder on it. And, by the way, I never pressed any key to reboot. I let it do it by itself.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

And, by the way, I never pressed any key to reboot. I let it do it by itself.

When you see the "Press any Key to Reboot" do not Press any Key. If CD boots anyway, remove CD and reboot.

The information I provided covered both sets of cirumstances.
That was the most obvious starting point.

it says the disk already has an A:/Windows folder on it.

Well it should not have an A:/ anything folder on it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 August 2011 - 05:16 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How is the hard drive connected?

Did you remove the 20GB drive and replace it with the 80GB drive? If so, did you set the jumper correctly, either Master or Cable Select (if you have an 80 wire IDE cable connecting it to the system board).

Is the drive hooked to the last connector on the IDE cable, the one farthest from the system board?

Does the 80GB drive show in BIOS Setup?

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
@Macboatmaster

I've tried removing the XP disc, but that doesn't work.

I meant that I removed the CD, and rebooted... Sorry if it wasn't specific enough.

How is the hard drive connected?

Did you remove the 20GB drive and replace it with the 80GB drive? If so, did you set the jumper correctly, either Master or Cable Select (if you have an 80 wire IDE cable connecting it to the system board).

Is the drive hooked to the last connector on the IDE cable, the one farthest from the system board?

Does the 80GB drive show in BIOS Setup?

@Ztrucker: I have made sure that everything is connected. Although, I don't have a jumper cable in my computer. I have the SCSI cable which of course leads to the keyboard, and the Power Connecter which of course leads to the power supply. Oh, and sorry I never said this before, but while the 80GB hard drive is in the computer, BIOS doesn't exactly 'recognize' it. "Primary Drive Source 0: Unknown Device"

Edit: Yes, I replaced the 20GB drive with the 80GB drive.

Edited by Wesdog784, 03 August 2011 - 05:30 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Although, I don't have a jumper cable in my computer.

The reference to jumper settings was a reference to the jumper on the hard drive.
The drive will have a jumper configured for Master, Slave and Cable Connect, plus a jumper parking position.
If the jumper is configured Master, then the drive must be connected to the master connection if the cable has TWO connector positions. etc.

If the jumper is incorrectly configured then the drive will not be seen.

That said I still wonder about A:/ Windows.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
What I find interesting is that my BIOS says 'Unknown device' while I go into windows setup, and it recognizes it as any other Hard Drive.

About the A:/Windows.... That's what it said. I can't quote it exactly, but something along the lines of: This Hard Disk already has a A:/WINDOWS folder or file on it. Then it asks if I want to delete the existing folder or overwrite it.

EDIT: Sorry. Maybe I should be a little more specific. My BIOS recognizes the Hard Drive as an 'Unknown Device'. Windows Setup runs and 'installs' XP on the Disk. HOWEVER: The problems start when it reboots. It tells me that Windows must now reboot your computer. Rebooting in 15 seconds, there's a bar, I can press enter to reboot immediately, which I dont, etc. Once I reboot, the computer doesn't recognize ANY hard drive that I put in it.

Maybe this will help, too: I know when my computer will read the Hard Drive when it boots up and says 'Performing IDE Configuration'

Edited by Wesdog784, 03 August 2011 - 05:59 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check the jumper setting on the hard drive as has been suggested. That is the most likely cause of your problems.

If it's not registering correctly in BIOS then there is no way to tell what will and will not work.

Check the jumper.
While powered down, disconnect the power cord.
Remove the CMOS battery (on the mother board, about the size of a quarter).
Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to allow all capacitors to drain.
Install CMOS battery, connect power cord and power up.

You should get an error message about CMOS configuration, press F1 to enter Setup, F2 to continue (or something like that). Press whichever one takes you to Setup.

Set date and time and any other options you need, like boot priority (CD/DVD, then HD).

See if all that helps, but first. check the jumper.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Check the jumper.
While powered down, disconnect the power cord.
Remove the CMOS battery (on the mother board, about the size of a quarter).
Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to allow all capacitors to drain.
Install CMOS battery, connect power cord and power up.

You should get an error message about CMOS configuration, press F1 to enter Setup, F2 to continue (or something like that). Press whichever one takes you to Setup.

Set date and time and any other options you need, like boot priority (CD/DVD, then HD).

See if all that helps, but first. check the jumper.

Removing the CMOS battery: Is that checking the jumper? Sorry. I'm not sure what or how to check the jumper.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The jumper is on the hard drive itself. Look at these images to see what I mean.

ide hard drive jumper

Removing the CMOS battery and power cord and pushing the power button is to drain the electricity stored in the capacitors on the mother board. This scrambles the NVRAM where the Setup configuration data is stored and gives you the error message I mentioned. You then go into Setup as I also mentioned and set date/time and boot drive priority.

Hopefully after all that the hard drive (with the correct jumper setting) will show up in BIOS Setup correctly.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Well, I removed the CMOS battery, pushed the power button for about 30 seconds, and started the computer up again with the 80GB hard drive. I changed the date and time. Didn't need to set the boot priority. No error message appeared. After 'Performing Automatic IDE Configuration', then came the message 'press f1 to retry boot, press f2 to run setup utility'. Went back into the BIOS, and it said 'Primary Drive Source 0: Off' When I press enter, all it does is give me a menu with (sorry, I can't remember exactly) The 'off' option, and another option which was in blue which said 'n/a'. And, if it helps at all, it recognized my CD-ROM drive, but not my Diskette drive. Usually it's in blue, this time it's in white. '3.5 in., etc.' When I press enter, it says 'Not Installed'.... So, apparently it didn't detect my diskette drive, either.

The jumper is set correctly. It's directly in the middle. Or, as the chart puts it 'Mastery w/ slave present'.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is there a slave (2nd hard drive)? If not then that is not the correct setting. Normally it would be no jumper means Master/single drive.

You need to go by the instruction on the hard drive you have, not by what was shown in the images I gave you the link to. Each drive manufacturer does it differently.

Sorry to keep beating on this. I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I know how critical these stupid jumpers are. That's one of the great things about SATA drives, no jumpers.

I'm going to bed. Good luck. Will check back tomorrow.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I was going by by what was said on the back of the Hard Drive. Not the images you gave me. Don't worry, I'm not offended or annoyed. You're good. :) Let me show you what I'm seeing on my hard drive.

http://www.google.co...iw=1152&bih=749

Sorry... I realize that's a long link, but I don't know how to simplify it into whatever word you want, you know?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Does this help you
EIDE (PATA) Desktop Hard Drive Jumper Settings:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cable select is where your cable is as shown.
On the diagram above for the jumpers.
Cable select is the top right with the jumper on pins 1 and 2.
If the drive is connected to the cable on the end connector shown primary master. It will then be the master drive, which if you ONLY that have that drive connected is the one you want if the cable is as shown.
If it is connected to the middle of the cable connector it will then be a slave drive.
This explains it all on page 2 Top right.
http://www.wdc.com/w...2579-001037.pdf

Basically if it is the ONLY hard drive connected and is NOT on a cable as shown but a cable with just TWO connectors one to the motherboard and one to the drive leave the jumper off OR place it across pins 5 and 6

If you still cannot follow please post and we will try again to explain.
If you need to attach anything else please attach it as an image NOT as a link we have to open.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 August 2011 - 01:34 PM.