Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your compute

• Please log in to reply

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
OK. According to the chart that you showed me, my jumper is set to 'Dual (Master)'. The IDE ribbon starts with a connector which goes into the hard drive, and ends with a connector that goes into the motherboard. No connector in the middle. I'm currently using my 20GB Hard Drive, and the Jumper is set to pins 5 and 6. ('Dual (Master)') The jumper on both the 40 and the 80GB hard drive are the same. I don't think that the jumper is the problem.

Edited by Wesdog784, 04 August 2011 - 01:31 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is the 80Gb going to be the ONLY hard drive in the computer
If so set as shown on the diagram and the link I sent you FOR only drive and NOT cable select.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yes, the 80GB will be the ONLY hard drive in my computer. According to the PDF you sent me, I can either have no jumper at all, or the jumper across pins five and six as an alternative (That's what it said next to the asterisk in really small writing...) Do you want me to try it with no jumper at all?

Edited by Wesdog784, 04 August 2011 - 01:41 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes please.
Then after connecting boot and go to BIOS check now that the drive is shown.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Awesome! Removing the jumper worked! Although, whenever I start up, the screen stays black for a while. Thanks!!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So do you now know that the installation was successful or are you starting again on the XP installation.
If you are starting again, connect two drives on a cable select, put the XP O/S on one drive and use the other for all your programs, data personal files etc.
There are many benefits in keeping the O/S separate from your programs and personal data

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
The XP OS is on the Hard Drive. I installed it and activated it. Now I'll transfer over all of my files. I don't have room for two Hard Drives in my computer. Only one.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK did not realise immediately it was a laptop - I presume.
Good luck with it pleased to have solved it with you.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thanks again! And no, it's no a laptop. Just a really small computer... :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do not forget to go to the motherboard site or the computer manufacturers site, if branded and install the chipset driver first, before updating if necessary any other drivers.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Hot ziggety!! Glad you got it working.

As Shakespeare (sort of) said: To jumper, or not to jumper, that, is the question