Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with computer

• Please log in to reply

litup69

litup69

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Since May I have been having issues with my 3 year old computer. It first started when I couldn't get get online with my cable modem. After some troubleshooting I found out that my network card had stopped working. So, I went out, purchased a new one, and installed it. Things were fine until June when my video card started to have problems and would crash whenever I would try to watch streaming video or play PC games. So, I replaced it with a new one. Now my hard drive (which is 2 years old) is starting to have issues with a bad block.

I ran HD Tune, according to it I have warnings in three different areas on bad block drive but there is also a communication problem with both the drive with the bad block and my back up hard drive (which I have not been able to back up to for a week)and I'm also getting random BSOD which I don't have the code for. My minidump files on the BSOD is MIA and even WhoCrashed isn't pulling anything on them. The only thing that is shower any issues with the drive is Event Viewer.

I've ran Seagate Tools and the hard drive fails and I have tried to run SeaToolsDOS but with no success as it freezes on start up. Is it normal for so many components to start having issues in such a short period of time or am I facing a serious problem?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi :unsure: litup69 :)
Sorry to hear you are having such a bad run of luck with your computer.
As you said in your OP you have replaced the video card it suggests you have a desktop PC, please see my canned text below of what information is needed to best assist you, do not worry if you are unsure of all details.

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series (not serial) number, motherboard , PSU and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

litup69

litup69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Its a custom built desktop
AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HD985ZXAGHBOX
BIOSTAR A770 A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
850 Watt TR2 RX power supply
MSI ATI Radeon HD6670 1 GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card R6670-MD1GD5
Windows XP service pk 3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Apart from being extremely unlucky with the failed components the one weakness I can see is the MB.
Among the problems that I have read of while researching the MB are the board causing a corrupt HDD
and causing other components to fail due to unstable power being distributed (I can`t confirm either)
Some reviews here http://www.newegg.co...eywords)&Page=1

litup69

litup69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Do you think I might be running too high a wattage and amp for my components

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Do you think I might be running too high a wattage and amp for my components

Only a tech with the correct test equipment can confirm this but after reading those Newegg reviews it does seem possible, apart from testing your MB the tech would also test your PSU but for now if you can download and run speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php post a screenshot with your next reply so that your temps and voltages can be checked.

litup69

litup69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Here is the screenshot:

Speedfan 8-4-11.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Voltages look good but temp2 is a concern, it may however be an anomalous reading as does the fan2 reading.
Try manually increasing the fan speeds to 100% and see if the temps come down and if they do you can then manually decrease the settings until you get stable temps and also less noise, below is a guide to using speedfan;
http://forum-en.msi....?topic=109858.0 these two readings may suggest that all is not as it should be with your MB.

litup69

litup69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
After following the instructions from the link, it doesn't appear that to be stabilizing.
I've attached another Speedfan screenshot:
Speedfan2 8-4-2011.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Please un-tick the Automatic Fan Speed box and see if temp2 comes down, you will notice that fan speed 2 has increased to 5215RPM that is maxing out so as I said earlier try backing the fans off manually, 5% at a time will do.
Speedfan does not always get all readings correct so can you download and run HW Monitor from the link below;
http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html again can you post a screenshot with your next reply.

Advertisements

litup69

litup69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay these fan configurations are confusing me and I don't think its a good ideal for me to continue messing with them since my computer has been freezing up. Here is the HW monitor report
Attached File  HWMonitor.txt   26.51KB   139 downloads

I reset the changes after I rebooted so this is probably not going to help:
Speedfan 8-5-11.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi litup69
I hope you do not mind but I have asked a member of staff to look into this and will offer no further assistance unless requested, best of luck I hope it is soon resolved.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

Take a screenshot of the sensors and attach it to your next post. I have to agree with the assumption the CPU may be overheating. Let me ask when you first put the system together did you use Tim on the CPU before you put the CPU cooler on it or was the CPU and cooler bought as a boxed set?

litup69

litup69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
If I remember correctly the person who built my computer did put Tim on it.
Here is the Hardware Monitor in two parts.
HWMonitor 1.JPG
HWMonitor 2.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that shows all your temps and volts being where they should be so Speedfan is misreading a sensor some place.
OK I see you ran a hard drive diagnostic but I would like for you to run the manufacturers diagnostic program specifically.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions