Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lockups during video rendering

• Please log in to reply

pderm

pderm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm getting lockups all the time with Roxio videowave 11. Hardware and software rendering. Ran memtest86+ on my memory(kingston 2Gb x 2) and it only shows 3.3Gb total. When each slot in run by itself the test pass. I ran the test for about an hour. Each card in slot 0 tests ok. When both are installed and tested I get failures. Any ideas? Using Galaxy Nvidia geforce 450.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi pderm :)

I'm getting lockups all the time with Roxio videowave 11. Hardware and software rendering.

Possible causes include a failing PSU, bad memory including the GPU, overheating or driver issues.
Try swapping in a known good PSU capable of supplying the whole system (400W or above with your present GFX card) run memtest as described below, make sure the inside of the case including all fans and Ram + GFX card slots are free of heat trapping dust, if you have recently installed new video card drivers try rolling back to the previous drivers, if not check for updated drivers.

Ran memtest86+ on my memory(kingston 2Gb x 2) and it only shows 3.3Gb total. When each slot in run by itself the test pass. I ran the test for about an hour.

If you are using 32 bit XP it will only show 3.3GB (sometimes less) check in the BIOS does it show 4GB there, for conclusive test results you need to run at least 5-6 passes of each Ram stick, this can take overnight.
What is the brand and model of the present PSU and have you checked that all fans are working correctly?
Download and run Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php post screenshots both before and after you have used the computer under load, this will enable your temps and voltages to be checked, you may find reading this http://forum-en.msi....?topic=109858.0 helpful for using Speedfan.

pderm

pderm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for all the sugestions. Haven't tried a new PS yet. I think my memory is ok, got thrown by the 4G limit issue, and I just read somewhere that you should test each module one at a time. Getting ready to use a new video editing program which should solve the problem, if not, I'll be back!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
You are welcome, thanks for the update and good luck.