Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

File Recovery via Norton Ghost

• Please log in to reply

PhilDaub

PhilDaub

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I did a search for an answer prior to starting this topic/thread, but had no luck finding anything. (note: bold text = updated information from original posting)

Question:

Is there some way I can retrieve specific documents from the large number of CDs created when I used Norton Ghost to back up a previous XP-running PC hard drive? Can a computer repair shop or someone with the right tools/skills do this for me?

Background:

A few years ago I had Windows XP on a previous PC and I backed it up via Norton Ghost 9.0 by creating a mirror image of my PC's hard drive via quite a few CDs.

Since that time I've gotten a newer PC with Windows 7 installed and now I'm trying to recover some Word and txt files on those backup CDs. After installing Ghost 9.0 (after a required reboot), whenever I try launching Ghost 9.0 my PC gives me the message "You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation." How do I get around this seeing as how it's my own personal computer??

Is there a program out there that has replaced Norton Ghost and will allow me to recreate the mirror image of my previous hard drive using the Norton Ghost-created CDs I have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by PhilDaub, 04 August 2011 - 08:23 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There may be a Ghost Explorer programme you can use that used to come with the CD that you install as a separate entitity.

Ghost 9 has issues under Vista. It also has issues under XP SP2. Therefore it'll probably have more issues in Windows 7, You can try right-clicking on the shortcut and Run as Adminstrator.

PhilDaub

PhilDaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, Neil. I managed to run the Ghost 9.0 as Administrator as per your reply, was prompted for the serial #/CD Key (and entered it), but now I'm getting a new message when the program starts: "The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available." When I click ok, I get the option to Reconnect, but that only repeats the message I just mentioned. I'm thinking Ghost 9.0 is a lost cause which brings me back to my original question....

Can a computer store/shop recover files from my backup CDs I made using Ghost 9.0, looking specifically for certain files? Anyone?