Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Continuous Ink Supply Systems

• Please log in to reply

Buddyboy546

Buddyboy546

• Pip
  • 1 posts
As a newbie here I am surprised to find little in the way of discussion about continuous ink supply systems, or CISS as they are known. We all use printers, usually of the inkjet type, and we all cringe at the cost of ink cartridges. I used to have a HP all-in-one which did a reasonable job for about eight years. I kept the cost of ink down by refilling the cartridges as best I could, but I had mixed success, especially with the colour inks. When it finally gave up the ghost about four months ago I looked around locally for a replacement. Best I could find, in my amateur judgment, was an Epson NX420, a low end inkjet with a black and three coloured ink cartridges. I ended up buying it on the web for about $60 delivered to my door, compared to about $120 had I bought it locally. The web is a wonderful place.

When I took it out of the box I was stunned, stunned, at how small the ink cartridges were. There's no way I am buying these, I thought, a musing that was confirmed when I found that one set of ink cartridges would cost about the same as did the printer. Then I started looking, surfing, reading, finally to discover the wonders of CISS, A complete CISS system with enough ink for about three years of free-flow, full colour printing would cost me about $80. I was hesitant, then an acquaintance told me he had been using CISS for about three years. He was delighted with it and his full sized colour prints were amazing. I bought my own CISS.

I have since used it for about two months, printing anything and everything in full colour. It works great. Downsides? Fitting it is relatively easy - there are even specific how-to videos on the web that take away the guesswork. Routing the ink tubes can be trisky, involving breaking away some of the plastic printer parts, but even that was simplified by using a solder gun to cut them away, a far better approach. Now I print what I need, even including a run of several hundred brochures. This approach is so good I wonder why it's not a hot topic everywhere, especially sites like this. It's almost like it's a taboo topic! Yes, you pretty well void the warrnty on your printer, but that matter little when the printer manufacturers almost give them away. One saved purchased of ink cartridges covers that expense.

Does anyone else have experience with CISS or another viewpoint about it? Like I said, the web is a wonderful place.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hi Buddyboy546 :unsure:
Posting your topic in the correct forum is important as you will receive the appropriate replies; http://www.geekstogo...m/92-off-topic/ enjoy the forums :)

Buddyboy546

Buddyboy546

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Phill: After I posted I realized what I had done. Now, having realized the error, how do I correct it, ie. how to I move my post to the hardware section?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm moving it to the hardware forum as you requested.