Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get into Windows - Fatal Error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Turloch

Turloch

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hard to know where to start with this one.

The other night I tried to start Windows. The start up screen froze, and the mouse, and what sounds like the fan came on strong and constant. lately I've had a lot of this over use of fan for prolonged periods, especially after a long session or when downloading. Seems unnatural.

So the only way to switch off was holding the start button for 5 secs.

Restarted OK.

Next day the same freeze, manual restart, this time I got a corrupt SYSTEM file in c:\windows\system32\config, and pc remained in DOS. All I could think to do was to go in via Recovery Console and TYPE the SYSTEM and SYSTEM.SAV files. The 1st was very different so I copied the .SAV over to SYSTEM.

This time I got further, to the Windows start screen but then it goes into Windows Installation mode and the fan goes mad again. It purports to have passed the collectiong info, dynamic update, prep installation stages and to be on Installing Windows. This happens incredibly rapidly (ie you don't see these stages - the screen 1st appears on this stuck stage)
Fatal Error dialolg comes up "An error has been encountered that prevens Setup from continuing. Internal Setup data structures are corrupted (phase 0)". OK to view setup log then cancel and it goes through the whole cycle ad infinitum.

I've caught the boot with F8 and tried "Last known good configuration" but no joy. I don't know how to get out of this nightmare. All I can do is switch off power. Please can someone help

Appreciate it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do not duplicate your topic. It makes more work for members and staff and could potentially get you mixed advice being given. Your original topic is HERE so please edit your original post to include any new info but do not reply to your topic or someone may think you are already getting assistance. The duplication may be a glitch so I am closing this topic. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. :)