Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get into Windows - Fatal Error

• Please log in to reply

Turloch

Turloch

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hard to know where to start with this one.

The other night I tried to start Windows. The start up screen froze, and the mouse, and what sounds like the fan came on strong and constant. lately I've had a lot of this over use of fan for prolonged periods, especially after a long session or when downloading. Seems unnatural.

So the only way to switch off was holding the start button for 5 secs.

Restarted OK.

Next day the same freeze, manual restart, this time I got a corrupt SYSTEM file in c:\windows\system32\config, and pc remained in DOS. All I could think to do was to go in via Recovery Console and TYPE the SYSTEM and SYSTEM.SAV files. The 1st was very different so I copied the .SAV over to SYSTEM.

This time I got further, to the Windows start screen but then it goes into Windows Setup mode and the fan goes mad again. It purports to have passed the collectiong info, dynamic update, prep installation stages and to be on Installing Windows. This happens incredibly rapidly (ie you don't see these stages - the screen 1st appears on this stuck stage)
Fatal Error dialolg comes up "An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Internal Setup data structures are corrupted (phase 0)". OK to view setup log then cancel and it goes through the whole cycle ad infinitum.

I've caught the boot with F8 and tried "Last known good configuration" but no joy. I don't know how to get out of this nightmare. All I can do is switch off power. Please can someone help

Appreciate it.

Edited by Turloch, 04 August 2011 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

sounds like the fan came on strong

This, if it is the fan, cold be a sign of an overheating problem.
If it is a desktop, when did you last remove the side of the case and check the cleanliness of the fans, air vents and CPU cooling fins.

It could also be the hard drive spinning and the drive mechanism, as against the actual data storage is failing.

Check the computer for dust build up first.
Go back to Recovery Console and run a chkdsk /r at command prompt in recovery console.

NB You have posted on other sites. I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with that, but my strong advice is to work on ONLY one site at a time.
A procedure recommended on one site, may conflict when run with something else suggested on another.
I suggest you decide on which site you wish to continue.
Please post your decision, no one here will be offended, if you post that you will continue on one of the others.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 August 2011 - 03:21 PM.

Turloch

Turloch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the interest and reply.

The whole case got a good dusting and hoovering last Oct when I had a major system failure (see other thread of mine) and I had the HD out and all. I don't suspect that. But, for my information, could you tell me how overheating might produce this file corruption and software problem?

I appreciate your comments on posting on another site. I guess I was scatter-gunning the web in the hope of a better chance of a reply. I choose this to continue with. I can't see a way of deleting my other thread.

Just finished chkdsk which found and fixed >= 1 error. Exited RC, back to mysterious setup screen and exactly the same cycle continues.

Any idea why it's in setup anyway?

Edited by Turloch, 04 August 2011 - 09:05 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That sounds like a corrupted registry. I've successfully used the instructions here: How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting.

Take your time and make sure you do it right.

Turloch

Turloch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you. That might be the very thing I need, as I originally got the message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

However, I did do the ..\config\system file swap, as described above. Might that have an unwanted effect?
As it's a long soln., and it's very late here now, I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

But, for my information, could you tell me how overheating might produce this file corruption and software problem?

In answer to your question I do not think it did.

However there is every possibility that this did.

So the only way to switch off was holding the start button for 5 secs.

and if this is a problem

and what sounds like the fan came on strong and constant. lately I've had a lot of this over use of fan for prolonged periods, especially after a long session or when downloading.

then you need to sort it out in that respect., as if there is an overheat problem, you stand a real chance of damaging something, probably the CPU.
I would, in addtion to what Ztrukerhas said, also give serious consideration to examining the temps etc.
I would enter BIOS setup and check the temps recorded there.

Then when you get back into XP I would run these and see what information we have regarding temps, voltages etc.

Have you checked the temps and voltages with one of the many available free programs.
http://www.cpuid.com.../pc-wizard.html

AND I think so we can get a comparison
  • Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
    Open it.
    1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
    2: Click once on Summary
    3: In upper menu, go Report
    4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
    5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
    Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI" Attached thumbnail(s)

Posted Image

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 August 2011 - 11:43 AM.

Turloch

Turloch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you ever so much for your interest and time taken to reply. Looks like I'll be busy with this but run out of time just now. I'll keep you posted on results.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Turloch

Are you still having problems with your issue or is everything now running correctly?
It has been 4 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Turloch

Turloch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for your interest. I have been very busy and travelling these last few days and, as the proposed soln. is so long and requires such attention, I haven't had the time yet. I've been using this laptop for convenience. Rest assured I will keep you posted of my progress/results. Thanks again.