Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd rom stop working..

• Please log in to reply

nice101

nice101

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
hello everyone. ive been here before for help. well im back again. my dvd rom stop reading my dvd,audio,and program disk's. i can't get it to play or burn. i see its up to date. i also can see it in my computer. but sometimes its not there. can anyone help. thank you for any help...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi nice101, laptop or desktop?
As drives are both mechanical and electrical they will eventually fail but one of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for most of the above instructions

nice101

nice101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
if this dosent work do it mean my cd rom is no good? i can hear it working and the light is blinking.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

if this dosent work do it mean my cd rom is no good? i can hear it working and the light is blinking.

Possibly, inside the drive are lasers that read and on some drives write information to and from disk, these can fail due to normal but regular use, age or not being looked after/maintained correctly.
I asked in post #2 if it is a laptop or desktop, please answer this as it makes a difference for example if it is a desktop as you can see the drive light flickering and hear the mechanism working you may have a bad, loose or disconnected data cable which will need to be checked, if it is a laptop the same symptoms may suggest a dirty contact or worse case scenario a motherboard defect.
In addition to advising if a laptop or desktop can you tell us how old the drive is as that may also offer some clues.

nice101

nice101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
oh! ok its an acer 5515 aspire 3 years old laptop. and yes i do see the cd-rom lite flicker. i also use win7.and in cd-rom properties it say, this device is working properly...thank you so much for your help.

Edited by nice101, 05 August 2011 - 07:34 AM.

nice101

nice101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
please can anyone help me. with my cd rom not working...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi nice101
Sorry for the delay but please understand that staff and members at GTG give their time and knowledge freely in order to help others but we all have other responsibilities such as family and work and cannot always be available, we understand that the issue may be frustrating for you but please be patient and we will do our best to help you a.s.a.p. thank you for understanding this.
You have not provided any feedback from the steps that were proposed earlier so can you let us know what you tried and what the outcome was, from the symptoms that you have described it suggests a failed optical drive this however could be the result of a dirty drive to MB contact, see page 57 of the user manual for "how to" remove the drive and clean the contacts, inspect the drive internally for dust and blow it out gently if there is any;
http://tim.id.au/lap...aspire 5515.pdf

NB: Please do not be tempted to purchase a CD/DVD lens cleaning kit as you can fit a new drive for very little more.