Create Account Login to Account

intel core I3 vs AMD QUAD CORE

• Please log in to reply

kenbarber

kenbarber

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I am not actually building but need an educated comparison on these two processors. all other things being equal is a duel core Intel I3 hyperthreading to 4 threads equal to a AMD athlon II quad core? i know there can be varibles, but they are both clocked at 3.1 ghz, same hard drive size, same ram size. intel in a gateway and Amd in an HP pavilion if brands makes a difference.

Advertisement

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

all other things being equal is a duel core Intel I3 hyperthreading to 4 threads equal to a AMD athlon II quad core?

No. It is still a dual core vs quad. And like all rules, there are exceptions, but it is still safe to say a quad is better than dual.

And it is an impractical question anyway because you will not find a dual core Intel based motherboard that will have "all other things equal" to a quad based AMD motherboard.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
thank you for validaying my thoughts as opposed to someone trying to tell me his product was equal. i kept on thinking it is a duel core. hperthreading just confused the issue.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
HT is a method to "virtually" create two processors out of one. It does improve performance, but it is not equal to physically having twice the number of cores.

I am sure there are some entry level quads that would struggle to keep up with a high-end dual core HT processor. But with all else being equal, they are not!

kenbarber

kenbarber

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
thanks

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If that Intel i3 is a Sandy Bridge, it will outperform the quad-core AMD Athlon in most situations except the select few programs that fully take advantage of more than two cores. Sandy Bridge is a superior microarchitecture, so while the numbers might look equal, that's only part of the story.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
nothing was said of Sandy Bridge. it is a mid range gateway computer.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Was the processor an Intel Core i3-2100?

kenbarber

kenbarber

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
i think so.

Advertisement