Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intel core I3 vs AMD QUAD CORE

• Please log in to reply

kenbarber

kenbarber

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I am not actually building but need an educated comparison on these two processors. all other things being equal is a duel core Intel I3 hyperthreading to 4 threads equal to a AMD athlon II quad core? i know there can be varibles, but they are both clocked at 3.1 ghz, same hard drive size, same ram size. intel in a gateway and Amd in an HP pavilion if brands makes a difference.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

all other things being equal is a duel core Intel I3 hyperthreading to 4 threads equal to a AMD athlon II quad core?

No. It is still a dual core vs quad. And like all rules, there are exceptions, but it is still safe to say a quad is better than dual.

And it is an impractical question anyway because you will not find a dual core Intel based motherboard that will have "all other things equal" to a quad based AMD motherboard.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
thank you for validaying my thoughts as opposed to someone trying to tell me his product was equal. i kept on thinking it is a duel core. hperthreading just confused the issue.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
HT is a method to "virtually" create two processors out of one. It does improve performance, but it is not equal to physically having twice the number of cores.

I am sure there are some entry level quads that would struggle to keep up with a high-end dual core HT processor. But with all else being equal, they are not!

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
thanks

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If that Intel i3 is a Sandy Bridge, it will outperform the quad-core AMD Athlon in most situations except the select few programs that fully take advantage of more than two cores. Sandy Bridge is a superior microarchitecture, so while the numbers might look equal, that's only part of the story.

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
nothing was said of Sandy Bridge. it is a mid range gateway computer.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Was the processor an Intel Core i3-2100?

kenbarber

kenbarber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i think so.