Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Importing from Outlook Express to Outlook

• Please log in to reply

Scouty

Scouty

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi everyone.

Wondering how to copy or import info from Outlook Express (address book & identities) to Outlook. New hard drive - all old files/information wiped out. This stuff is saved to CD-R.

Not sure if they are compatible with each other to import. The address book may not be a problem. But not sure how to import "identities" that hold all the saved emails.

I can open the address book on the CD-R and view it. The identity file(s) are not readable from the CD-R because the format only works with Outlook Express - I think. :tazz:

Windows ME.
Outlook 2000 (from Microsoft Office 2000).

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here for Outlook 2000

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;196492

Here for Outlook Express

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;257173

You should be able to import from the OE folder you create to Outlook

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 10:18 AM.

Scouty

Scouty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Keith.

Will give those a try tonight.

If nothing else - I learned through this whole "computer crashing" experience to learn to manually set a restore date in Windows ME when everything is working fine. This way I can restore the system if something gets screwed up.

Whew. Don't know how you computer people do it! I just get so frustrated trying to fix crap.

:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Generally, if you run disc clean up then defragment the drive and create a restore point ahead of installing anything, you have something to go back to, and if whatever you have installed runs well for a day then defragment the drive and create a new restore point.

Scouty

Scouty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
All is working well Keith!

Took care of everything.

Will most likely do a manual restore as soon as I finish installing the rest of the programs.

Thanks!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you install a programme then it gets a better chance at landing on your drive in one place and one piece if the drive is defragmented.

This applies to programmes you install from a CD, which are likely to be sizeable, you won't need to bother for things like ad-aware, spybot etc.

I saw your other post, good that things went well.

Thank you for having the courtesy to post the results

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 09:21 PM.