Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

JDcompy

JDcompy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
So... I have an external (Sata) drive and it was in the middle of copying files from my laptop to the drive. The case slipped off of the bed (next to the laptop) and fell about 2 feet on to the carpet. Now the drive is not immediately recognized when connected. After a while I get the message that says: "The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open". Sometimes I get a message saying, "The request can not be performed because of an I/O device error."

How can I fix this issue?

Thank you so much!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello JDcompy.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:unsure: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Sounds like you may have damaged the connection in the external box. Is it capable of being open to check the connection itself?

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for the reply. The case is definitely not easy to open as I have had this drive from this company in the past. You pretty much have to break the case open. The light comes on, on the case, so I feel like maybe the case is working fine. It was in the middle of copying at the time and says the door is open.. is it possible I just need to "close the door" ?

Hope this makes sense- and thank you again,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a optical drive then?

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Im not sure what that means.. It is a 3 TB sata drive from WD in an external case (which it came in)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I meant is the external cdrom drive or a hard drive.. You answered that.
Is there a door open on the external case?
Have you tried it on another system to double check if the problem happens then?

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have tried it on both my laptop and desktop. There is no opening on the case itself. I'm guessing the door open is referring to whatever "door" opens to let data copy through and it was not closed as the copying was interrupted.

Edited by JDcompy, 05 August 2011 - 01:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see you have the same topic started HERE at Tech Support Guy.
I understand this is a issue you would like to resolve but understand using two different or more sites for help can cause a problem in itself. I have no ideal what they may suggest and vice versa.
I see you started it just about 20 minutes ago.
If you would like to use them instead of here I will understand. I am still researching your issue but please let me know if you want to use them instead and we can stop assisting here.

What I have found indicates that the data connection to the hard drive in the external may have come loose or is damaged.

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I can appreciate your note; I have been reading around on their site a bit more and I think I feel much more comfortable here. I only posted there because I have done so in the past (with out much luck).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is possible that the case when it dropped knocked the hd loose internally from the connection. Now that would mean you would need to open the case which by what you say is almost impossible without destroying it.
Once inside you would have to make sure the hd is securely attached to the connection.
If that still does not resolve the issue I would say then that the external case would need to be replaced.

Advertisements

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
What you are saying (sadly) does make sense. I will give it a try. I wish they didn't make these cases so unopenable.. :/ Thank you again and will post back after my attempt!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it does become evident it is going to destroy the case then you may have to purchase a new external and one that can be opened easily. :)

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
YOU can use this tool too see if the drive itself is damaged!

download

don't look at the drive this is for i have been using this on external WD drives for a while now and it works great!
do you got the part number of the drive so i can see what type of drive we are talking about 2.5" 3.5" etc etc

rshaffer61 hope you don't mind me trying to help as well don't want to step on your tows :)

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
p/n = WDBAAU0030HBK-00

Will try the program as well,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope all suggestions are welcome. I have no issue with even a newbie member like yourself offering any help. I actually welcome it as it is the only way for our forum to remain as a family. Please post as often as you like with all suggestions. :)
The issue is that the drive is not being recognized and if indeed the data connection is loose or has been damaged by the fall then the diagnostics may not work.