Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just to note, I opened up the case (I didn't destroy it!) and it looked like the connection was pretty secure. I disconnected and reconnected anyway to be sure. It is still not recognizing it yet.. The light is still flashing.. will repost in a few with a result.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How does it connect to the system by a USB cable?
Check to make sure that connection is stressed also. You might try a different USB cable if you have one. It could be the cable may have been stretched.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
@RSHAFFER61 might be a newby on the site but not a newby with hdd's :) the thing i'm trying to tackle with the diagnostic program is not if the hdd has any problems like a block error or something like that but i just want to know if it shows up as a drive.
witch if it does it means there might be a change to safe the data or even safe the hard drive

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree and if the enclosure itself is the issue then removing the hd and connecting it as a secondary drive in a desktop system would show if the drive itself is mechanically functioning.
It is clear that that the enclosure is not allowing the drive to be detected and removal is a viable option to save the data and possibly allow for a new enclosure to be utilized if we can show the drive is working.
Being this is a laptop then using it any other way besides a enclosure is out of the question so connecting internally in a known working desktop would be the most logical step at this point.
Hopefully that makes sense. :)

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
yes it does make sense, that's what i would do too take it out put it in a desktop, if the drive works in the desktop and if you want to use it as a external again buy a new inclosure.

hopefully you got a desktop that you can use, just careful with static electricity and take the right safety measures
see this geeks to go post static link

the only thing i hope isn't the case is that the external is younger then a year old....

manual PDF ALLERT!!!

Edited by dennisK16, 05 August 2011 - 02:47 PM.

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Looks like it is still not recognizing the drive.. and tools aren't really helping because it does not see a drive there :/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep go with taking the drive out of the external and using a desktop system to connect the drive internally as we have said. Then see if the desktop will see the drive.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Are you able to take out the hard drive and put in as a internal on to a desktop?
this way when you boot up the desktop and it shows in my computer we know its the external inclosure.
if you have done that and we know the hdd is still good we can work from there

you got 2 option at that point and we can discuss that when we are there

a other thing to do if you don't have a desktop that you can use or that desktop for some reason doesn't have a SATA connection open or any for that matter (older pc's!), you can try this sata to usb connectorthis means you got to invest a little to see if it works not sure if you want to do that.

let us know what you can/want to do

JDcompy

JDcompy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I really appreciate you both investing the time and effort in this for me; thank you. I do have a desktop, and sadly, am unsure (had a friend help build it) whether or not the motherboard can hold a sata drive. I will open it up today and take a look. Will post back after I have given it a try. Many thank yous.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok let me know if you need some help determining if you have a free sata port

Edited by dennisK16, 05 August 2011 - 04:49 PM.

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

http://www.geekstogo...d-support-sata/

yes your Mother board supports SATA.
if you look at the link that Kemasa posted on the linked topic you will see 4 L shaped connectors 2 black and 2 red on the left bottom of the board those are the SATA ports.

assuming you have this CABLE and a open power cord on the pc looking like this LINK you just plug those in 2 the hard drive (make sure the PC is powered off) and after you have done that just power the pc on and you should see the hard drive in "my computer"
and then you can transfer all the data that you want to transfer to the internal hdd or just leave it on that drive and use it as a "SLAVE DRIVE" in the desktop.

if you need access to the drive on your laptop you can share the hard drive over the network and access it that way without having to invest in a external enclosure

hope you don't that i used your other topic and answered on it in this one~

DK

Edited by dennisK16, 08 August 2011 - 05:36 PM.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I really appreciate you both investing the time and effort in this for me; thank you. I do have a desktop, and sadly, am unsure (had a friend help build it) whether or not the motherboard can hold a sata drive. I will open it up today and take a look. Will post back after I have given it a try. Many thank yous.

its been a week since your last reply did your problem get solved?

if it did can you tell us how it got solved so other people with the same problem can use your solution!

Thank You

Edited by dennisK16, 15 August 2011 - 05:00 PM.