Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Updating Network

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions for updating my home network. Right now I have about a 12 year old Motorola Surf Board and a Buffalo wifi router (cant remember the model right now). We are experiencing very inconsistent internet speeds over wifi and hardwired connections. We have so many devices that getting and number of them connect at once requires some of us to get off and let others on then reconnecting.

We have a 10meg cable connection from Suddenlink with the following devices connecting to it.

Desktop (Win7x64) ethernet
Laptop 1 (Win7x64) wifi
Laptop 2 (WinXPx32) wifi
Nook Color (Rooted with android) wifi
Android tablet (Witstech) wifi
iPod Touch (4th Gen I believe) wifi
Wii wifi
Visio tv (mostly for netflix) wifi
Visio blueray (for updates) wifi

and next week I have 3 netbooks coming in from the school (new way of learning I guess)no idea what brand or OS they have yet.

Of course they are spread all over the house. which is why most of them are on wifi. I would also like to add the Desktop, Laptop 1 and the 3 netbooks to some kind of central onsite backup. The 3 netbooks are the kids so an automatic backup to something would be great, maybe a hard drive attached to the router?

I have not found an all in one type device for all this so I am guessing we need to stay with a cable modem and wifi router. Is a hard drive connected to a router a reliable backup? I have thumb drive backups for some of the computers but not all of them. Can one wifi router handle all these devices?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Thank You

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
I would recommend you upgrade your router. I've found the D-Link DIR-655 to be very reliable, flexible and powerful. It will be a large improvement over your Buffalo.

Regarding backup, it sounds like the perfect situation for a Windows Home Server. It allows up to 10 computers to be incrementally backed up automatically every night. Daily, weekly, and monthly backups are preserved. Other solutions would be more complex and involve a NAS, or network attached storage device.