Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaned dust out of computer fans, now nothing to my monitor keyboard

• Please log in to reply

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
so 2 days ago my computer was being realy loud when i was playing a video game, so i took a q tip and wet it a little and got dust out of my fans in my computer.

After re-connecting, no signal to monitor, no lights on my keybard (num lock, caps lock,) and no lights to my gaming mouse.

I know its not the power supply because my fans are spinning and i got a new power supply like 2 weeks ago. What can i do to fix this?

I tried unplugging everything, and holding power button for 30 seconds, that didnt work, neither did removing battery on mobo and removing graphics card. I even removed ram sticks (4) and replaced them, that didn't work.

PLEASE help! im about to freak out :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like one of the two possible power connectors from the PSU to the Mobo is not connected.
Double check your connections as some mobo's have a 20+4 or a 20 and a 4 pin and eve some have a 24 +4 pin connection.

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i checked EVERY connection. I have no clue what is wrong, one of my friends said like a static discharge? idk could cleaning a little dust really cause this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

could cleaning a little dust really cause this?

Not directly but if you didn't discharge the static in your body before touching the inside of the case then you could have shorted the motherboard.
Is the system under warranty or is it a custom built?
You could try a inside case bench test and then if no results a outside case bench test would be needed. I am including the instructions below for you.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I touched the metal part of the inside of my computer. isnt that dischargic my static electricity?
And i will try, but like i said i pretty much tried everything :)

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay i read your post twice, and i didnt get anything except the keyboard mouse and video cable part D:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect all the drives from the motherboard. That leaves only the kb, mouse, video, speaker, power to the motherboard, reset button and cpu fan connected to the motherboard. Any video then?

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have 4 green sticks, is this ram? 2gb ram each? should i remove all of these as well? because i already tried this. Also is plugging the cord bad for your computer? i did it like 20 times because holding power button doesn't shut it off.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have 4 green sticks, is this ram? 2gb ram each? should i remove all of these as well?

Yes this is ram and no you need at least one to boot the system.

Unplugging the cord is not the desired way to shut the system off and if holding the power button in for 15 seconds doesn't shut the system off then it looks like the motherboard is your issue.

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
should i buy a new motherboard? because at best buy i can just send it in to hp and have it fixed for free because im under warrenty, but i would lose all my files. backup at staples is 70 bucks, and a motherboard is like 70-100. but if i send it in it will take 2 weeks to get it back D:

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other option is to take out the hard drive and connect it into a known working system as a second drive. Backup all your data and then take it to best buy. That way they can reload your OS and you will have all your important data to put back in then.

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i toook out my hard drive, put it in my sister working computer but her computer wouldn't boot then. exactly what the guy @ best buy said but i called again and a lady told me that guy was wrong and this would never work. then she said i needed to purchase a 70 dollar thing that allows me to connect it properly -_-

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you connecting the drive as a secondary or are you disconnecting her drive and putting yours as the main drive? The latter way will not work.

BTW what 70 dollar thing is she trying to sell you?
A external enclosure?

Daniel Park

Daniel Park

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i was trying to do the second thing. i think she was trying to sell me something so i could use it as a secondary. How can i use it as a secondary? maybe i could use it and return it :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you know if the desktop system has the same type of hard drive connections as what is on the hard drive?
In other words hard drives connect either by a IDE ribbon or a SATA cable

IS there a second place to hook it to the motherboard on the desktop system?