Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP 32 to 7 64

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hello

I am looking for advice.

I would like to upgrade my pc from Windows XP 32 to Windows 7 64.

I have read a lot of forums, and this should work apparently (I understand it will be a clean install, and not technically an "upgrade", please don't tell me I can't upgrade from XP to 7.)

What hardware on my pc should I watch for as far as whether it is able to run 64 or not?

Do I need to swap out my processor? My motherboard?

Here is a list of my hardware that I think may apply.

D- CORE 2 QUAD 2.40GHZ Q6600 4M 1066MHZ
NVidia GeForce GTS 250
EVGA NFORCE 680I SLI MB

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have read a lot of forums, and this should work apparently (I understand it will be a clean install, and not technically an "upgrade", please don't tell me I can't upgrade from XP to 7.)

It's not that you can't upgrade from XP to Win7 as long as your system has drivers for everything in Win7. The issue is you can not simply upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.
You have to do a format and fresh install of the Win7 64 bit.
A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Adviser.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7.

This will tell you if there are any potential issue with upgrading even to a Win7 32 bit version. You could also check the manufacturer of your Motherboard and see if there are drivers available.
As far as a motherboard and cpu the only reason you would need to upgrade is again if your motherboard does not have Win7 drivers.
You can backup all your data like office documents, emails, bookmarks in your browser, video's and movies. They can be transferred over after the new installation. All programs will have to be reinstalled and you need to make sure they will work in Win7. If not there is a little neat compatibility option to run older programs in Win7.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Thanks for the reply.

My required software and hardware is all compatible, and I just found out that my motherboard is also capable of running 64.

I just don't know now if my processor is able to run 64 or not.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to NewEgg HERE it is capable of doing 64 bit support.
Click on the Details tab and scroll down about 2\3 of the way through the list and you will see where it states that.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Awesome... thank you!

I've been trying to find documentation on this CPU and never thought of doing it that way. Super, that saves me from having to buy any hardware for the moment.

For anyone who may stumble onto this topic, there is a lot of debate on upgrades etc... please don't pick apart definitions etc...

I am upgrading from Windows XP 32 to Windows 7 64.

According to Windows 7 website you can purchase the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade if you are running any version of XP or Vista.

The problem with "upgrade" is it refers to an installation process as well. A quote from the Windows 7 website again, (under before you buy) Moving to Windows 7 Professional from Windows Vista Business qualifies as an upgrade. All other paths, including a move from a 64-bit edition of Windows Vista to a 32-bit edition of Windows 7, require a more detailed re-installation process.

note ... I wasn't sure that my CPU would run the 64 bit version because the Upgrade Advisor only says that it meets the 1 GHz minimum... which lead me to believe that was the only thing it checked there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Straight from Microsoft themselves HERE
You can not upgrade from 32 bit to a 64 bit OS without formatting and doing a fresh install.
You can upgrade from XP 32 bit to a Win7 32 bit with no problem as long as your system passes the Win7 upgrade adviser.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Makes sense.

A lot of forums mention that you cannot do an upgrade install when going from 32 to 64; however, I was still trying to save the 80$ by buying the cheaper upgrade version.

The question is now, can Windows 7 Upgrade be used to remove the old XP 32 and install the new 7 64?

Here is a link to an article that shows you how to do it in 4 steps.

I just don't know how many locks etc... Microsoft puts on their products.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The question is now, can Windows 7 Upgrade be used to remove the old XP 32 and install the new 7 64?

Nope you need to have a installed OS to do a upgrade.
As far as your link look closely at it.
Backup your data and basically you are deleting your old windows. This means none of your programs will work and will have to be reinstalled. The only thing you are doing is backing up your data which is what you would have to do anyway if you do a fresh install.
The programs will not work even with the steps you linked to.

I was still trying to save the 80$ by buying the cheaper upgrade version.

Please supply links to show where you are getting a 80 dollar difference in price.
NewEgg Home Premium Upgrade
NewEgg OEM Home Premium Full version

Looks like the upgrade is actually more to buy.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I guess I could go with the OEM. That would be cheaper. I was going to go with the Upgrade vs the Full.

Read a bit about the OPK and thought that it may be a lot of trouble, but I just read that it is not required and people are installing Windows 7 OEM without it. So thanks for that batch of savings.

I was at TigerDirect where I was going to purchase the 7 OEM along with some additional RAM.

Quickly double checked my RAM documentation, and noticed that my motherboard only has 1GB slots. Do >1GB DDR2s not help me? Or is this referring to something else? (See below.)

680i RAM.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If that is indeed your motherboard then you have 4 memory slots which will hold 1 gig in each for a total of 4 gigs.
With win 7 64 bit you will be able to utilize all 4 gigs where a 32 bit os can only use 3.5 gigs on a good day.

Advertisements

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
OK, I thought so. Was hoping the documentation was just written for Windows XP.

Thanks for your help with this!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let me know if you have further questions and how everything works out. It may help someone later with the same issue and we always like to know the ending resolution good or bad. I want to personally thank you for your patience and cooperation. It has been a honor to assist you and I look forward to your ending results. :) :yes: :unsure: :)

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Will do.

Already ordered some of the things, but I just read that if you swap out the motherboard (something I was contemplating to allow expansion of my RAM) you cannot reuse the OEM Windows 7.

I am now ordering a motherboard as well so that I can better take advantage of Windows 7.

This is the motherboard/cpu combo I'm looking at.
This is the memory I'm upgrading to for now.

Any suggestions? Are all motherboards now capable of 64 bit operating systems?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep with the OEm Win7 once you install it then it is Married to the hardware and short of a component failure like Motherboard, CPU or ram you cannot change the same without having to purchase a new license from Microsoft.
Memory should have no problem. 64 bit CPU and motherboard is ok and most CPU's now are 64 bit compatible.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Thanks.

I'm not a gamer anymore, so this computer is primarily spreadsheets and business, with occasional movie editing.

Ended up going with 2 of these (4 x 4GB) instead.

In a week or more I will advise on the progress. :)