Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still cannot boot my XP

• Please log in to reply

lordoxford

lordoxford

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm using my wife's old Compaq presario with
no CD burner. I'm still trying to boot my
Acer TM 4150 under pre-loaded XP home.

AVG antivirus USB stick fails:
"...INF file txtsetup.sif missing, status 14,
setup cannot continue ..."

OTLPE USB stick gives:
"Starting Reatogo-X-PE..." then
"A problem has been detected ...
***STOP ... 0x0000007B (0xF78DA528,0xC0000034,0,0)"

Puppy linux shows filestore intact. I only
have the three destructive Acer recovery disks
which I shrink from using. The XP key on the
underside of the machine has 10 characters missing.

Please help!

lox.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Use of the recovery discs will not require you to enter the XP key. No recovery disc set I've used has ever done that.

If for some weird reason it does, you can activate by calling MS and explain what you are doing: How to activate Windows XP

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
You miss the point! AVG fails, OTLPE fails.
What do you suggest?
lox.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, I was only replying to the part about the use of recovery discs and the install key.

How did you create the USB flash drive for AVG and OTLPE?
Why did you create them and what are you trying to do?

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK - I have an Acer TM4150 which fails to boot. I use this old Compaq (with no CD burner) to make flash drives (according to your directions) in the hope of restarting the preinstalled XP and resuming use of my main machine.
Three months in and no joy!
LUPU 525 mounts C: and D: but not E: on the Acer. I can access files OK on the two mounted drives.
This URL shows the sorry saga but not your colleagues' replies - all of which I have acted upon as directed.
Realtogo loads but the result is "STOP ... 7B" yet again.
Any ideas?
lox.

http://www.geekstogo...of=FORID:9#1027

Reason for edit: Make posted url into a link - Ztruker

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You never completed your malware thread or the thread you started with Happyrock. I'm not particularly interested in working with you if you're not going to stick it out.

Let me know.

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Happyrock referred me to the second group. I paid him a small fee for his trouble. I follow instructions but they get nowhere. Do you have any idea why these recommended codes do not work? If you do then be good enough to tell me. If not then suggest someome who might.
lox.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay. The last dump you posted shows this:

On Thu 8/18/2011 3:05:12 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: win32k.sys
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xABC7AF10, 0xF1, 0xF0, 0x21)
Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081811-18252-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Not a lot of help there. Searching Google almost all threads point to memory (RAM) problems.

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

Also, you said Do you have any idea why these recommended codes do not work. I don't know what codes you are referring to. Can you explain a bit more please.

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for your speedy reply. The reason this process has been so protracted has been that I had to leave it all for a couple of months - apologies to all!
OK - the "Codes" that don't work are: AVG and OTLPE - both on flash USB drives (because this machine - the Compaq - cannot burn CDs) - but wait, since writing this I've re-run MEMTEST (at your suggestion) and got 5 R/W errors in a 16 byte range. I ran MEMTEST at the start of this saga in May and got no errors. Between these runs I've been transferring files to a USB drive as a precautiion using LUPU 525. One of my settings enables speed changes. I'll go back and check whether this is the R/W problem.
Sorry for the delay.
lox.

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK - MEMTEST has run for 3hrs 6min 2 complete passes - still running with no errors.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have 4 separate posts going on the issues you are having. This makes it really difficult for anyone to help you. They are out there on so many different paths.

You went to the malware forum and never completed that. You were sent there because you thought you had malware. You ran your AVG with no errors. That is not enough.

In another post

Thinking back - the machine failed after I received a popup ad stating I had malware and "They" listed some system EXEs which were affected and offered software to sort it. I shut down immediately. Restarting I found some EXEs failed ("CCleaner" wouldn't run). In the startup list I found a line starting a name which was just a digit string. I restarted and searched (this ran OK) for that string - found the file in a temp & deleted it. Ran a reg cleaner & shut down. The machine has not started from HDD since.

Reg cleaners are not good to run. Your registry is hosed. I suggest you run a repair.

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
How do I do this? It's a pre-loaded XP.
The 3 Acer "Recovery disks" will blitz my (still intact) files.
For some reason (probably as a residue fom all the attempts to "Repair" over the last 3 months) if I set the BIOS to boot from hard disk I get a loading of Win 98. and access to C:.
I daren't do anything from the win 98 prompt because of the "Short filenames".
I guess that at some time I did an unwise "fdisk /mbr" with a "Repair" floppy in the drive.
HELP!
lox.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
With out going back through your other 4 posts you have made... the stop error is inaccessible boot device

You checked memory and one time it was ok and another it showed errors. Checking it again it showed ok. So which is it?
Did you run a hard drive diagnostics on the drive?

Try resetting the bios. Assuming its a desktop because you haven't told us. You need to pull the battery.

You need to find a copy of XP of the same type as you are using (pro, home, media).

Did you get puppy linux to run? How to use Puppy Linux

You are going to have to find a way to burn CD's, either that or use the recovery CD's you have.

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Salient facts again:
Acer Travelmate 4150 laptop - preloaded XP home - fails to load.
LUPU 528 runs OK and accesses all my data - half of which I've transferred to a 1TByte USB drive.
Using a borrowed Compaq presario I can download .ISOs and make bootable flash drives.

AVG antivirus USB stick fails:"...INF file txtsetup.sif missing, status 14,
setup cannot continue ..."

OTLPE USB stick gives:"Starting Reatogo-X-PE..." then "A problem has been detected ...
***STOP ... 0x0000007B (0xF78DA528,0xC0000034,0,0)"

Yesterday MEMTEST (floppy) ran for over three hours - 3+ complete cycles with no errors.

What diagnostics can I use to discover the software which is giving the problem, please?

lox.

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Why do I need CDs when Flash drives boot OK? (LUPU 528, AVG,OTLPE etc)its just when XP, AVG & OTLPE run that the errors occur.
Please suggest a hard-drive diagnostic program.
lox.