Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not booting after double power outtage

• Please log in to reply

jackaround

jackaround

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help in advance.

I had my computer going and the power source went out on it, so the computer shut down. I restarted the computer and was rebooting it in normal mode (vs. safe mode) and the power went out again.

Now, when I start the computer it asks if I would like to start in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, or safe mode with network. If I chose one it will give lines of code (ex. C:\windows.....) then the screen goes black and there is a solid cursor I can move but there is nothing else. Any thoughts or ideas. I really only care if I can recover my information (as lucky would have it I just started to look at external hard drives yesterday and did not buy one yet.) but a full fix would be nice too.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi jackaround :)
You can use Puppy Linux to secure your data, you can find a tutorial @ http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/
Once your data is secure if you have the original Vista or boot disk that was supplied with the computer you can try a repair installation of the OS http://www.vistax64....tall-vista.html

jackaround

jackaround

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Phil, just to be sure I should get an external to move the data over once I can access it from Linux. Then use the vista reboot and go from there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome and yes that is the correct procedure, good luck and let us know how it goes or if we can help in any way.

jackaround

jackaround

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry to keep bugging, but now the decision to purchase the external added a layer of complexity since it has to be linux and windows compatible, and knowing if I have a USB 3.0 or just a USB 2.0. Any suggestions?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Another option for you to consider is putting the HDD in an external USB HDD enclosure and trying data recovery software such as Recuva to try retrieving your data http://download.cnet...4-10753287.html not sure if this is a laptop or a desktop but if a desktop you could also fit the HDD in a second computer and use Recuva that way.

since it has to be linux and windows compatible,

This does not matter the system boots from the Linux disk and not the HDD, only your data is transferred to the external HDD.

and knowing if I have a USB 3.0 or just a USB 2.0. Any suggestions?

USB 3.0 ports are backwards compatible so that would not matter, provide some info about your computer and we can do some research and don`t worry we are here to help.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
As a further to philpower2's excellent idea of using an external enclosure, a cheaper method is a simple USB adapter, these can be found for purchase via Google.
However you do need to know if the hard drive you have is either the IDE or SATA type first.
Once connected to another computer, and providing the drive will run, all normal data should be recoverable.
If however the drive once plugged into the other computer does not show up on that computer, you may be looking at a dead or damaged drive.
Nev.

jackaround

jackaround

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Compaq presario C700 - laptop
Windows Vista (not sure if 64 or 32 i think 32)
Pentium processor
Purchased it in 08' I believe.
Not sure of the type of drive that I have but I have made no changes to the drive that it came with.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Ok some more info for you;
The type of enclosure you can use (SATA type) http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182138
Your user manual available @ http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01301275.pdf
HDD removal information see page 41
HDD specs see page 90
Back up and recovery see page 114

jackaround

jackaround

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I see so physically remove the Hard Drive place it in the enclosure that will allow me to plug the drive in to another computers hub. Remove all data (will executables go with it? ie. quickbooks) to the other computer, replace the hard drive and use the windows recovery disk.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
That is correct, your data is not meant to be erased when using the recovery process but it can happen and so that is the reason why backing your data up as a precaution is always advised first.

jackaround

jackaround

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think I have failed. I went out and got an External hard drive from transcend. I booted to F11 and backed up my files to the External. Then restored the computer to the factory settings (it was not letting me restore to a point in time). Now I go into the external via (f:->minwinpc->back up files8.10.11) and click on the restore wiz application. The application started then in the middle of it it gave me a run time error C++ visual error.

Now when I try to start the restore wizard it is not srarting the application.

If I go To System and Maintence-> Backup and Restore-Restore files (advanced)-> back up files made on a different computer-> select the transcend f drive.
Then i get the pop up that window did nto detect any back up files on the drive.

I am hoping since the computer spent several hours yesterday backing up files to the external that I have the files but I am just having trouble accessing them.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
As suggested in post #6 try recovery software such as Recuva http://download.cnet...4-10753287.html