Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search Redirects & Can't Run Malewarebytes Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It took me several attempts to reset - but after trying 3 or 4 times it finally 'took'.

Looks like the redirect issue is gone!

THANKS!!!

Edited by ChrisPittts, 14 August 2011 - 05:26 AM.

Advertisements

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Just for kicks I tried updating MALEWAREBYTES (which would not run before) is it is working like clockwork. You are a genius!

I don't get how if this was a router issue it only affected select computers using the same connection...

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
EEK! I ran windows update - and while installing an update the computer froze and I had to do a hard reset.

Now the machine will not boot (gets to the blue screen with the xp logo that you see just before the profiles appear) and stops.

Will not even boot in safe mode!!

Any suggestions?

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello!

I'm glad to hear that the resetting the router worked. Sorry to hear that you experienced some unexpected issues with the Windows XP updates.

Lets try to boot your computer using Last Known Good Configurations, and see if that works for us.

Last Known Good Configuration

Start the computer by using the last known good configuration. To start the computer by using the last known good configuration, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer.
  • As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY repeatedly,
  • This will bring up a menu.
  • Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll to Last Known Good Configuration
  • Then press the Enter Key on your Keyboard
  • Go into your usual account

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I had already tried that - no luck!

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Okay.

Now the machine will not boot (gets to the blue screen with the xp logo that you see just before the profiles appear) and stops.

Can you please elaborate on this a little more? Do you see an error message or anything or is it just freezing when it's trying to get past he Windows XP logo screen?

You wouldn't happen to have your Windows XP disc would you?

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes - it just freezes. it's the normal screen just before the profile choices are normally displayed... I can get to the screen to choose last know good config or the safe mode choices - but none of them seem to be working!

Unfortunate it's a machine my friend was given (of course without the OS disks)... Hoping it's not toast now - but well aware it might be!

If you have any suggestions I'd be most appreciative!

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Okay, thanks for that information. Do you happen to have any blanks DVDs/CDs and the ability to burn discs? If not, do you have a flash drive that we would be able to utilize?

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Not sure I have a DVD handy, but I have a huge flash drive...

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Okay. Well I'd like to have you download a utility that we can run from the flash drive, but it's going to require us to format the data, so any data that is on it right now would be deleted once we format the drive. Would you be able to temporarily save the data to a different computer, and then move it back onto the flash drive later?

If so, please do the following:

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe from one of the following links and save it to your Desktop: mirror1 or mirror2
    • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image

• Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image

• Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image

• Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

Advertisements

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Fantastic! I'm going to wait until tomorrow or maybe the next day b/c I have an incredible tooth ache (root canal tomorrow) and my mind is kinda foggy and I don't want to risk messing this up.

Thanks again - I'll report back as soon as my head clears!!!

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I get an error when running usb_prep8.cmd that no usb drive can be detected. I am using a windows 7 machine.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Ouch! Root canals are no fun at all! I hope it goes well!

When you clicked on the usb_prep8.cmd file did you right click and select run as administrator? If not, can you please try to do that, and see if it will work for you then?

ChrisPittts

ChrisPittts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for the good wishes... Turns out they decided the tooth was too damaged - so it's going to be extracted tomorrow. What joy...

I tried your suggestion, and see the following screen..

Posted Image

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi!

Thanks for the good wishes... Turns out they decided the tooth was too damaged - so it's going to be extracted tomorrow. What joy...

That stinks!

Would there be any way that you could get your hands on a blank CD/DVD, so that we can burn the OTLPE disc instead? I've usually had much better success with my users burning the OTLPE to a disc instead. If not, we may need to try something differently.