Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transitioning from wired network to wifi.

• Please log in to reply

Hawsky

Hawsky

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Windows 7 service pack 1. HP 6553 series.
I have an ATT 2wire gateway, and I've been using the wired/ethernet connection and would like to switch to wireless. I have the instructions from att about how to do it, but my computer doesn't have the wireless icon showing in the taskbar tray. This leads me to believe that wireless adapter is not active. How can I start this process?
Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

This leads me to believe that wireless adapter is not active.

I suspect there are several versions of the HP 6553 but the one I found did not come with a wireless adapter.

Are you sure it has either integrated or an add-in card (or external USB)? Do you see any antennas hanging out the back of the PC? Do you see the device in Device Manager?

Hawsky

Hawsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
WW609AA#ABA - Model #
p6533w - HP Model

The PC is just the basic model sold at Walmart, and is less than a year old.
There is no antenna coming from the back of the PC. I'm just not sure how to switch over my modem to operate as a wireless network. The ATT instructions ask me to right click on the wireless icon that looks like 5 service bars, and activate the wireless function. But there is no icon like this. I have tried to activate a new network, but the wireless setup wizard prompts me for a ISP password. It seems like this should be a simpler process, i'm just not too techy.

Hey, thanks for the help.

Hawsky

Hawsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Solution Found. Thank you!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Solution Found. Thank you!

The purpose of forums like this so EVERYONE has an opportunity to learn from each other's experiences. Stating simply, "solution found" without posting the solution does NO ONE any good, and is considered poor forum etiquette.

What was the solution?