Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD On Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Generally speaking, Norton provides excellent protection from malware, but it, like other "big" suites, has a long history of causing other problems. Whether it is because all the fluff and bloat we don't need that's foisted on our systems, or not, I don't know.

This I agree with 100% and if they would get rid of the bloat I may be more willing to advise the use of it. Due to all the bloat I find it very hard to recommend it because it tends to use so many system resources and slow a system down.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't recommend it because there are several, fully capable, "free" alternatives that are not only free upfront, but don't stick you with recurring renewal fees either.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok well I just got another BSOD... That makes two now in a few days. I scanned with BlueScreen View, and now it is telling me a different driver has caused the BSOD as opposed to the last BSOD I had the other day. Here is the log:

==================================================
Dump File : 081611-30373-01.dmp
Crash Time : 8/16/2011 4:47:52 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff880`028c5741
Parameter 3 : fffff880`0b0c9648
Parameter 4 : fffff880`0b0c8ea0
Caused By Driver : luafv.sys
Caused By Address : luafv.sys+88bc880
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : luafv.sys+b8741
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\081611-30373-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 285,311

I couldn't attach the minidump file, I kept getting an error. "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file." So I just uploaded the file to MediaFire instead. It's a small file only 278 KB. Here is the link:
http://www.mediafire...mqd585u55w4455g

I have yet to uninstall Norton. I haven't had the time to do that yet. But I will be doing that later and installing MSE.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The luafv.sys process is part of Microsoft Windows and should not be deleted or prevented from loading each time Windows loads. Doing so could cause errors or Windows to stop working.

Looks like windows is just going crazy. Your malware topic is still awaiting a reply from a Tech there. We need to make sure this is not a hidden infection or we could cause more issues trying to correct this.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Could it be my wireless adapter causing the BSOD? When my computer finally boots up the wireless adapter says there are no connections available and shows an icon with a red X on it. I have to unplug it and plug back in to get it working again. Maybe it is incompatible with Win7? Just an idea. Not sure though.

And if it is malware, I don't know how it got onto my system. I didn't visit any odd sites or download anything I didn't know what it was. Anyway, my topic is on page 2. That is ok right? I'll still get a reply eventually?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I checked the link for your topic in Malware to verify any new posts and none as of yet.
Your wireless going out is most likely due to the crashes causing it to loose connection.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I guess for now I'll uninstall Norton, and wait for a reply to my malware thread. Hopefully I get a reply soon!

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Well it looks to be they are occurring more frequently now. Just got another BSOD... Here is the log, with yet another driver that caused the crash. If I don't get a reply to that malware thread soon (and I'm expecting I won't actually...) I'm going to just try a clean install of Windows 7.

Dump File : 081711-32401-01.dmp
Crash Time : 8/17/2011 5:23:31 AM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : fffff8a0`05e4da98
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : fffff880`0111d039
Caused By Driver : usbohci.sys
Caused By Address : usbohci.sys+ff240a98
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\081711-32401-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 285,311

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK in the end that is your choice but I hope you will be patient and wait for the malware tech.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You really should not be making system changes while Malware Removal is still analyzing your system. Changes, especially if they are unaware of them, can skew their findings.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yeah I'll wait for a reply. I just hope it doesn't take too long. Few days is fine with me, but I've read someone didn't get a reply for months. Plus my thread being on page 3 or 4 now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it has been 3 days post in the Waiting Rom with a brief description of your issue and a link to your malware topic. That will get you help then as sometimes the topics get lost in the shuffle.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
So I waited for a few days and never got a reply to my malware thread...

I decided to take the PC back to the store and replace it with another (same model) in case it was a hardware issue.

And last night I got another blue screen. This time hardly anything was on my computer except Firefox, some pictures/videos, and CCleaner. I had the minidump file analyzed and was told it crashed because of my video card drivers. Another crash was from my wireless adapter (which I am replacing), and the other crash came from spyware terminator (which I no longer use).

I'm wondering why are so many different things causing my system to crash like this? Especially since I just replaced it. It has to be something I'm doing. But as I said before I've hardly had anything on my system. I'm seriously thinking it could be the wireless adapter and it is making other drivers crash as well. I really dunno, I'm at a loss here.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried updating the video and wireless adapter drivers?
A new system is not really new. The drivers most likely are a year old and newer ones may be available. Check the laptop manufacturers website for the updated drivers for your laptop.
If not there then you will need to check each component manufacturer for updated drivers.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If I got two in a row that did the same thing, I would take that one back too, and then get a different model - maybe a different brand too - and one with built-in wireless network support.

Outdated drivers for the computer should not cause BSODs just because they are outdated. New computers (regardless how long they sat on the shelf) should having working drivers right out of the box - even if the drivers start out a year old, it should still work. BSODs out of the box indicates a quality control problem at the factory. An isolated case is one thing. Two in a row makes you wonder. Your wireless adapter may be another story and it is probably good you are replacing that.

You might get a AC Outlet Tester to make sure you don't have problems with your wall outlet. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) Indicator as they can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Walmart.

You might consider putting your computer on a "good" UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). In fact, all computers should be on a good UPS with AVR, IMO.