Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for A free secure Forum

• Please log in to reply

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi

i want to creat a Free Forum
i don't care about the Forum style and anything
i just want it to be secure main use as a Notepad :)

i want to store Canned Fixes there
Links to programs and such stuff

so what do you promot

Edited by todo, 08 August 2011 - 03:41 AM.

Advertisements

todo

todo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Well no need i Found what is called "Proboards"

I saw Kevin From Knos Project using it

and i trust Kevin :)

WinDefend

WinDefend

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Forumotion is also a trusted forum hosting company.

todo

todo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Really!! thanks anyway i already made this forum
http://redacid.proboards.com/

i want to make it as a Book Case or Notepad store the Good tutorial i found on the internet on it so if i lost my Flash disk or formatted my computer i wont lose anything

also i'm thinking about making a Wordpress Blog i know that they are pretty secure

i wonder if there is another something like those free site builder ??

anyway thanks :)

Edited by todo, 08 August 2011 - 12:32 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm not sure why you would use a forum as backup for files, canned speeches, etc. It seems to me like an online backup service would be a better way to store data than a forum. Also, if you're using a free forum, you can still run the risk of losing data if anything should happen at their end. With an online backup service, you should have a guarantee of redundancy.

todo

todo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
thanks sari

i Do use a Backup options i use the Most secure one in my opinion and those are DVD copies

as i said i like to make this site as a Note Book to use when ever i go even without using a password to access
For an example a Friend's computer so i will be assured my password wont get stolen or keylogged
and also it's a great way to store Bookmarks and links and will be available for everyone if they want to use it

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You want a secure forum, yet you don't want to use a password to log in? You'll visit the forum as a guest? That makes no sense. That means anything you post there will be available to anyone who views the site as a guest, which is what you would have to do if you don't want to use a password to log in. That's the opposite of secure. I also assume you want to save information you're gathering as part of your research in GeekU. I do not advise posting everything you want to save in a public forum, as there's a possibility that you'll be publicly posting information that is not meant to be public.

todo

todo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
thanks sari

For backup i used before 4shared storage service but for the Free forums it's something else its a bit different from File backups
i will use it as a notebook / Bookmark manger / article archiving and something like that
also i will ensure security so i can access my data on Others computer without using my password
as for important stuff i use Flash disc to backup them :) it's more secure than drop box also i use it from time to time

thanks for the help guys

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

also i will ensure security so i can access my data on Others computer without using my password

As far as I know, the only way to access forums with other than guest access is to login, which requires using a password. Please explain to me how you're ensuring security by not using a password?

I do not advise posting everything you want to save in a public forum, as there's a possibility that you'll be publicly posting information that is not meant to be public.

I'm going to repeat this, since you didn't respond to it in your previous post. As a participant in Geeku, you had best be careful about what you're posting in that forum.

i will use it as a notebook / Bookmark manger / article archiving and something like that

I understand what you're trying to do, I'm just saying that the structure of a forum is not designed for this purpose.

todo

todo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

As far as I know, the only way to access forums with other than guest access is to login, which requires using a password. Please explain to me how you're ensuring security by not using a password?

i can creat a limted user :) other than the admin wich can access some of the forums

I'm going to repeat this, since you didn't respond to it in your previous post. As a participant in Geeku, you had best be careful about what you're posting in that forum.

aha xD did you thought i will leak the school secrets :@ :yes: Don't worry i won't :unsure: i'm Proud member of Geeku

I understand what you're trying to do, I'm just saying that the structure of a forum is not designed for this purpose.

i will give it a try it's free so no worries and also i'm not going to put any effort in that forum Or do i ???? maybe i will start my own Geek forum XD hahah just kidding

also i post in a lot of different forums it's a good way to keep a copy of my articles for archiving

Advertisements

WinDefend

WinDefend

• Pip
  • 9 posts
There should an option so that only admin/mods can view the forum (and read threads), and you should disallow forum registration. But like sari said, it is better to save it and use an online backup service or something. On the bright side, Forumotion and ProBoards both provide a forum restore option. It works the same way system restore does, plus it has additional admin tools.

- Experienced Forumotion User

Edited by WinDefend, 13 August 2011 - 06:26 AM.

todo

todo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Don't worry i already Done those stuff

the forum still need a little adjustment
i Posted a Security list there :) swear didn't steal from tech support :unsure:
i really liked the idea and did a tutorial for the small glitch in windows there so far so good

There should an option so that only admin/mods can view the forum (and read threads),

also i'm not building a nuclear Bomb in there :yes: Don't need a lot of security as Most of the info there are useless
for others

anyway if you liked anything you are free to copy the articles which they don't exist yet :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Don't worry i already Done those stuff

the forum still need a little adjustment
i Posted a Security list there :) swear didn't steal from tech support :unsure:
i really liked the idea and did a tutorial for the small glitch in windows there so far so good

There should an option so that only admin/mods can view the forum (and read threads),

also i'm not building a nuclear Bomb in there :yes: Don't need a lot of security as Most of the info there are useless
for others

anyway if you liked anything you are free to copy the articles which they don't exist yet :)

I'm a little confused. You stated that you started the forum initially. Then you stated that created some tutorials, yet the tutorials are created under a different name than the person who started the forum, and that user didn't join until after you started this thread and posted the link to the forum. This implies to me that this forum is not there simply for you to save your notes to. I have the feeling you're not being honest about what you're doing with the forum.

todo

todo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
no no no it's not like that

i wanted to make a Links and tutorials in the forum but i wasn't on my computer
i was on my brother's computer
i don't trust His computer even with the extreme security setup

so i created that user just to save those links
it's just another security measure
if you don't believe me i can make you an admin and give you full control of that site
even if you don't want to

Like the Boot-Mgr is missing it happened to Me in the day before the tutorial Post
i just worked on that issue about 3 hours just to find the Program that copy the windows disk to flash drive

so i book marked what i did with the tutorials that help me do it in the Forum
so if it did happened to me again i wont be googling and looking around

it's properly the language barrier that not making me explain my situation or making my post look fishy
Belive me I'm totally honest i don't mean GtG any harm
or to do fishy stuff in the forum that is my intention of making that forum

anyway if you saw me fishy or doing stuff that's illegal or stealing stuff you have the Full right not
just to Drop me from Geekstogo school but also to ban me

i didn't do anything i just made a list of security Programs i searched for every link by my self
and didn't copy others work even that it's easier and wouldn't make a difference

maybe i made a Mistake of Posting that in the "Free security software topic"
i should have post it without the quotation and properly Pm a Moderator with the link

anyway sorry if i couldn't explain well

also as for the security stuff i just wanted the Best secure forum for a reason
i read online that some Free forum Provider not very secure
that the whole site gets hacked in seconds
for that i want something that will last
any way if you feel like i'm not that honest that is the site in front of you do as you like

Edited by todo, 15 August 2011 - 03:33 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What if you just created a free gmail account? Then you could email yourself the info, and only you'd have access.