Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspected malware causing Blue screen crash driver_irql_not_less_or_eq

• Please log in to reply

shunter10

shunter10

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at this.

Last week I bought a new wireless printer and had some difficulty getting the driver for it working. Despite believing I was using trusted sources for the driver downloads, I downloaded quite a few before I got the right one, and was asked by some of the downloads to turn off my anti virus while they downloaded. I suspect this was probably an error of judgement.

Now my computer crashes regularly with the blue screen and reports:
driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000060,0x00000005,0x00000000, 0xB9F1B6AB)
atapi.sys - Address B9F1B6AB base at B9F13000, DateStamp 4802539d

I have investigated this on Google and carried out the following in order based on suggestions in forums:
- uninstalled the printer drivers, still get the blue screen
- full scan with my Avast virus scanner, crashes with the blue screen
- Windows memtest, no problems identified, crashes with the blue screen
- resetting to last known good configuration, still get the blue screen
- full scan with malware bytes, no infections reported, does not crash but still get blue screen
- I tried to get various logs but the programs would always freeze, but not crash with the blue screen
- I managed to get a log from TDSSKiller, Attached File  TDSSKiller.2.5.14.0_07.08.2011_22.12.34_log.txt   43.53KB   120 downloads
- Combo-fix froze while it was scanning, but did not crash with the blue screen

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Stephen

Advertisements