Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SpeedFan readings and general fan problems! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi there, I have a laptop Toshiba Satelitte Pro L450D, which turns off when it feels like it, due to overheating. I've downloaded speedfan, the CPU is usually at about 20-50%, no problem there, the HD0 is 40C, again, no problem, however the CORE is at 100C! Which is bad! And the reason is, is because my fans don't function! This problem has risen up recently, its at 0RPM.

My real question is:

Do I need to buy a new fan? Or is it that I need to alter something. How do I replace it?

Is the whole laptop busted?

I don't want to buy a new laptop.

Edited by Pawanhammers, 08 August 2011 - 07:01 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A laptop has very few user replaceable parts.
The fan would require that the system be opened up and if you are not confident enough to do that I would suggest taking it to a shop and letting them replace the fan.
Not knowing what the going labor rate is in your area you can plan on anywhere from 50 to 150 for the part and labor.
Still cheaper then purchasing a new laptop today.
Word of warning though... make sure you do a backup of all your important data as no repair shop will guarantee your data.