Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 64 bit Complete crash and restart at random

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets try a different approach.

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

Advertisements

JP6824

JP6824

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
SFC /scannow: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations." But just before the scan I had yet another complete crash while I was trying to render a project in my video editing software (nothing else was open) and lost all my work. Could this have something to do with the Catalyst Control Center? Before I contacted you I had been getting the following message intermittently: "Catalyst Control Center host application has stopped working." It would pop up for a few seconds and go away, and everything seemed to work normally. It does not show up at all now, but my desktop is not appearing as normal and the icons will not stay the way I arrange them. I appreciate your efforts to help, but I am seriously getting ready to throw this computer out the window.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disable the Catalyst from running on startup. It is not needed for the ATI card to run correctly.

JP6824

JP6824

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I don't know how to do that. I've managed to get to it, but don't see any option to disable. Do you think the CCC could be part of the problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I do think it is part of the problem.
Go to Search then to All Programs.
Scroll down till you find the Startup Folder and open it. Does CCC show in there? If so then delete it.
If not in there then do the following.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything that has to do with Catalyst and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

JP6824

JP6824

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I un-checked the CCC and nothing changed. The system has been starting and running normally, except for the different looking desktop that I mentioned previously, and the fact that it's been crashing randomly while I'm online with streaming audio in the background. I have been having problems with Yahoo Mail, but as I also mentioned earlier, I don't know if that's them or me. Now, without even being online, I can't render a project in my Sony Movie Studio software. I can save, but the machine is crashing every time I try to render. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software, same result...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask is this system still under warranty?
We have run just about everything there is to run and found various issues but have updated them all.
My next suggestions may not be something you want to hear but it may be the only way to resolve the issue.
First and most drastic is to return the system to a Factory Installation state by using the recovery partition or disk.
Second would be to try a Repair Installation which you would need the Win7 disk to do.
Third would be to try and do a system restore back to before this all started and see if that would correct the issue.

JP6824

JP6824

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
That's pretty much what I figured at this point. Also pretty sure the warranty is over. I can't seem to locate the Win7 disk. I did make two backup disks, which I have, when I first got the machine. Should I try those? And if I do a system restore back to before I had the problems, will that affect files that I have added since then?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

And if I do a system restore back to before I had the problems, will that affect files that I have added since then?

First off if we restore back to a time before the issue it should have no bearing on programs or data.
If you go for a Factory Restore then yes everything will be back to how the system was brand new.
I just thought of something though before we go any further. Can you get into Safe Mode?
More specifically Safe Mode With Networking?
I'm just interested in seeing if the issue happens then.

JP6824

JP6824

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Glad you mentioned that. When the machine first started crashing I tried several times to run a scan with Security Essentials, but the machine crashed every time in the middle of the scan. I then tried the scan in Safe Mode with Networking and got through it. Since then I have tried scans with a couple of other products the same way without a crash. The Windows diagnostic tool is telling me I have hardware and memory problems but gives no details, other than telling me to contact the manufacturer...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets test the memory first then to see if there is a issue.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate [b/memtest86+-4.20.iso[/b] file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

JP6824

JP6824

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Sorry, but trying to follow that was making my head spin. I would most likely end up making things even worse. I think I'll just save some files (I actually don't have that much on the C drive that I need) and reinstall the system. Do you have any suggestions for software that works well for data discs? The Roxio that I have is not working. It gets about 3/4 of the way through the process and just stops. Thanks...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can do it without being in Windows at all using a Linux Live cd. :)

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recovery from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

JP6824

JP6824

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Couldn't I just drag the files over to the external drive, disconnect it and then do the reinstall on the C drive? Also, are those two backup discs I mentioned earlier the best way to do a reinstall if I don't have the Windows 7 disc?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you can drag the files over.
The recovery disks should reinstall everything if they are actual Recovery disks.