Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install Windows XP on Dell

• Please log in to reply

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Welcome!

My sister got a shiny new Dell Inspiron laptop. The problem is, it came wit' Ubuntu Linux, which is unusable for my sister. So the family have asked me to install Windows XP Service Pak 3 onto it, and remove Linux.

I set the laptop to boot from CD, and everything goes right until the Windows boot CD loads up the kernel, and other important tools - every time I reach that stage, I receivel Blue sceen of Death with the code 0×0000007B (0×F78D2524, 0×C00000034, 0×00000000, 0×0000000)

Any ideas how to proceed with the installation and format the hard drive of the laptop?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Go into the BIOS and disable the AHCI Mode on SATA Drive option, XP cannot work under this option it is for Vista and up.

Hope that helps

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you sure there are Windows XP drivers for this laptop model? Did you check the Dell site?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Are you sure there are Windows XP drivers for this laptop model? Did you check the Dell site?

I agree if this is that new then Vista may be the earliest drivers you can get.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It worked :) Thank you for your kind help, folks. Windows XP works flawlessly under this model.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Glad to know it worked, good computing.