Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA HDD Issue

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

quoting geekforgotten now: "I cant seem to format the drive to FAT32 as it only gives me the options of exFAT and NTFS"

You are correct and your suggestion for the formatting should work great.

i have externals on both my XBOX360 and PS3 for game storage both drives formatted in FAT32 and i have no problems with downloaded (legal) games for the xbox and ps3 the install files are not bigger then 4 GB and the game saves ain't bigger then that either so i don't see the problem...besides him not having the drive in FAT32

As I stated GeeksForgotten has made no mention of what type of files we are dealing with so I can't say anything regarding that yet.

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

i have externals on both my XBOX360 and PS3 for game storage both drives formatted in FAT32 and i have no problems with downloaded (legal) games for the xbox and ps3 the install files are not bigger then 4 GB and the game saves ain't bigger then that either so i don't see the problem...besides him not having the drive in FAT32

As I stated GeeksForgotten has made no mention of what type of files we are dealing with so I can't say anything regarding that yet.

my bad (maybe time for me to apply for geekU so i can remember all the rules :) )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

my bad (maybe time for me to apply for geekU so i can remember all the rules

What I'm saying is we have no ideal what type of files we are talking about so that we can figure out the next steps for the file limitations.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

my bad (maybe time for me to apply for geekU so i can remember all the rules

What I'm saying is we have no ideal what type of files we are talking about so that we can figure out the next steps for the file limitations.

i can't think of a file thats over 4 GB and will be used/played on a Xbox or PS3 but i can be wrong there might be a few things i missed :)

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I have formatted my whole drive to FAT32 using this tutorial here
http://www.ridgecrop...fat32format.htm

but my XBOX 360 and PS3 are not detecting my drive!
This is the main issue here as my consoles are not detecting my drive but my computer is able to

and as for the file limit of 4GB, I am fine with it now as I can split my HD movies into parts to play them

Edited by GeekForgotten, 09 August 2011 - 01:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I take it your console is connected to your computer or the extra drive is now in a external case?

I am fine with it now as I can split my HD movies into parts to play them

This is what I was wondering about. Are these downloaded movies or retail dvd's you bought?

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
The extra drive is in an external USB enclosure
consoles cannot detect it but computer can

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange and you made sure the enclosure is powered along with the hd?
Have you tried a different USB cable although if the system sees it in the enclosure then that tells me everything is working correctly.

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Yes it is powered along and turned on but still nothing
well I dont seem to have a different usb to usb cable
but I do not think it is the cable that is the problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't either since it will find the drive and everything when you connect it to your computer. The issue then is the game console itself.

Advertisements

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Well i've tested it on both my consoles and it doesnt seem to work
could it be the 55MB parititon?

Edited by GeekForgotten, 09 August 2011 - 10:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As far as method we use the most that would be Derricks Boot and Nuke or commonly called DBAN located HERE. It is the best at competely wiping a drive clean.

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Can i boot that off of a usb?
I dont seem to have anymore discs at the moment

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If your system is capable of booting from a usb drive then yes.
This tutorial should help you HERE
Though written for a older version the steps should be the same.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
if i remember correctly a Xbox doesn't support hard drives bigger then 250GB so try to make a 249 GB partition on the hard drive and a 71GB one (if i remember correctly you have a 320GB drive) and hook it up to your console that should solve the problem!!