Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass application error

• Please log in to reply

pizzmoe

pizzmoe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello-I have a Dell Inspiron Mini (no optical drive) running Windows XP. I went to boot it up recently, and after the Windows logo appears, the screen goes dark followed by an error message "lsass.exe-Application error" Once I click Ok, the screen is dark and there is nothing else I can do. I've rebooted, selected F12 and run every test offered but there are no errors. Any thoughts on this problem? Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Two possible causes I know of. One is malware, the other is a corrupted registry.

You could give the Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper a try, see if it finds and fixes anything.

To get started, please make sure that you have a blank CD, DVD, or USB drive with at least 250 MB of space. Next, download and run the tool – the tool will help you to create the bootable media required to run the software on your PC.

If it's a registry problem, see here: How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting. I've done this several times and it's worked well. Just be patient and follow directions exactly, step by step. Looks daunting when you first read it but it's really not.

pizzmoe

pizzmoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll give it a try. Thanks!!

pizzmoe

pizzmoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The Standalone sweeper did the trick. Awesome. I really appreciate the help. I was 2 seconds away from tossing it out the window!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Great! You're the first person I've recommended it to. Glad it worked.