Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 laptop running hot

• Please log in to reply

RichieReg

RichieReg

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,

Okay so I'm not sure where I should of posted this one, but recently my laptop has started running rather hot and alot of processes are running with high memory usage (task manager), some upwards of 300k (java) even as I type this google chrome is running 30k plus on three separate processes.

I'm not sure whether this is uncommon or to blame for the high temperatures, but the CPU usage isn't shown as to high (60% plus when running java process).. so I'm a bit bemused really.

Cheers.

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 August 2011 - 06:54 AM.
Removed malware log

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We do not use OTL in this forum and they are not to be posted outside of the malware forum.
First off lets see the temps with a couple of different programs for verification.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Motherboard Info:

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.
Take a screenshot of the sensor window and attach it in your next post.

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright, apologies for the OTL.

Speedfan
SpeedFan Capture.JPG

SWE Mbobo
SWE screen.JPG

SWE sensors
SWE sensors.JPG

HM sensors
HM sensors.JPG

cheers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
CPU and core are running a little warm so we need to address that.
Being a laptop you are going to be very limited to what you can do.
First of all make sure all the vents are cleared of dust and that the laptop is never set on something like a blanket or a pillow while being used. These will cause airflow to be impeded causing over heating.
Second on the bottom of the laptop you will find latches for the memory and the hd itself.
If you unscrew the latch and take them off you will be able to gain access a little to the inside of the laptop.
From here you can use a can of compressed air to blow out the inside of the laptop.
Warning: Never turn a can of compressed air upside while using as this will cause actual liquid to be released and can damage electrical parts inside the laptop.
After completing the above steps please do a new Speedfan screenshot for me.

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I've managed to blow a bit of dust and such out (no compressed air though) and the following speedfan cap was done with only this browser open.
I'm unable to perform it in the same conditions as before as the program I was using is down at the moment, so I'm guessing this could be seen as a system idle test.
I will get another when I'm under load when I can.

Attached Thumbnails

• new speedfan Capture.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Idle temps are perfect.
What program other then Google Chrome and Java?

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's a game called runescape, which uses java in it's browser, and when I use it, memory skyrockets, as does cpu usage and temp.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you knwo what version of Java you have?
Regardless let make sure you have nothing but the newest version installed.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
okay, I'm up to date on java and I've attached another screenshot of speedfan during the game usage.

Attached Thumbnails

• newer speedfan.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm you might consider a laptop cooling mat to help cool the system and circulate air better.
Something like this HERE

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, I have one, I'll use it more often. So, bad airflow + 2yr old HP laptop = hot?

Edited by RichieReg, 09 August 2011 - 01:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't think it is the age but more the airflow and maybe even a fan slowing down inside the system.
Is the system slowing down or lagging at all when this happens or is it just the temps that are bothering you?

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Some slight slow down also, but mainly it's just the high temp, as it didn't used to be as hot.

Edited by RichieReg, 09 August 2011 - 02:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I would say part of it is as the components get older they will slow down which may be the case with the fan on the video card.
Also being it is a laptop the room for airflow is constricted more then it is in a desktop system. The temps do look better now that you have cleaned it out a bit and I would suggest the following to help out.
Keep it off pillows, blankets or anything like to minimize the possibility of air flow being restricted.
Use the cooling mat as much as you can.
Check the vent regularly to make sure no dust buildup.
Watch the ambient air temp in the room as that will affect the internal temp of the laptop.
Monitor it for the next couple of days and let me know what it shows.

Post number 3 above I suggest you let HWMonitor run while you are idle and while running the programs to just keep a eye on the temps. Unless the system gets to the point it feels to hot to touch or if you really are not comfortable with it I don't think the issue is really bad.
One way to make sure is to have a qualified shop open the system up and check the actual internal fan(s) to make sure they are running at the correct speed.

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright, I'll keep on eye on things, and I'll check back in a few days.

Cheers for the help bud.