Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound trouble

• Please log in to reply

panthertooth

panthertooth

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I just recently updated my computer with a new mobo/cpu and ram. My sound is lagging no matter what i do watching movies, videos or even when i get a windows ding, the audio is integrated VIA hd audio, not only am i having lag issues but also have had some sound issues going from speakers to headset

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the same system with the windows update issue?

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Well hello :)

Yes same system but the issue with the updates was happening before i did the upgrade and sound was fine up until the upgrade, i just did the upgrade yesterday and sound was fine till then

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it sounds like you have two issues here.

My sound is lagging no matter what i do watching movies, videos or even when i get a windows ding, the audio is integrated VIA hd audio

Are you watching movies online or store bought or downloaded?

not only am i having lag issues but also have had some sound issues going from speakers to headset

Not sure I understand this one but are you saying going from speakers to head phones you are not getting sound?

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Are you watching movies online or store bought or downloaded?

I have tried both online and bought DVD's and get the same problem, even if u get a windows ding from trying to close a program without closing all the windows first the sound comes 2-3 seconds after

not only am i having lag issues but also have had some sound issues going from speakers to headset

Not sure I understand this one but are you saying going from speakers to head phones you are not getting sound?

There is 2 settings
Independent headphone: this gives the user the ability to send two different audio streams to different locations at the same time,from this PC

Redirected headphones: This feature gives the user the ability to send one audio stream to all locations

So when it is set to independent sometimes i have sound coming from my headphones which is plugged in the front jack and nothing coming from my speakers which is in the back jack sometimes its the opposite its like it isn't detecting when i plug in my headset, If I have it set to redirected it comes from both simultaneously which is what i don't want i want it to come from my headphones only when i plug them in and the speakers when i unplug them.

When it is set to redirect it has a lose in sound meaning if i normally was listening through my headset ad 1/4 volume i now have to listen at 3/4 volume.

Another thing it was doing was when playing videos online its almost like its trying to go ahead of itself, kinda like if you had an old audio cassette (yes i'm dating myself lol) that was loose and it would play then the tape would finally catch up and it would advance real fast

Now here is the kicker if i reboot the sound is in sync

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first step I suggest is to make sure all system files are correct and nothing is corrupt.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Next when you updated the mobo and cpu did you reinstall XP?
If you did then did you update the audio driver for the new mobo?

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I ran sfc and it didn't find anything

Next when you updated the mobo and cpu did you reinstall XP?
If you did then did you update the audio driver for the new mobo?

I did not reinstall XP, but i did update the audio drivers from the mother boards website

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What player are you using for the dvd's?

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Using VLC to play DVD's its updated to the newest version and again never had any trouble till the new mobo was installed

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I'm hoping this is the link your looking for

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24502590

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing I see right away is you need to run some basic maintenance.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
you had me run both of those scans yesterday in the other forum for the update issue, do i need to run them again ??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to your PC PitStop report it still is showing a 31% fragmentation and 17% free space.
Though the free space is not bad i just want to make sure nothing is left over causing a issue.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I was looking through the files after the defrag and a lot of the stuff in there looked like it had to do with World of Warcraft files, i can do the defrag again and post the log if you wish