Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound trouble

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then that is where we are having the issue. The OS from what you stated was preinstalled with the original machine and no original OS installation disk was provided.
That makes the OS a OEM installation which means now that you have changed everything the original recovery partition is useless to you.

When you changed the components the system went into stroke mode because there are no drivers for the new stuff in the original installation.
Even with you installing the new drivers there are other parts of the original OS still looking for the old components.
I think NO I believe the problem is you need to format and reinstall your OS. Better yet since you hopefully upgraded with the new mobo you might consider going with Win7 and then all your drivers most likely will be even newer then what is on the drivers disk you have.
In all honesty I'm really surprised the system even booted up after the update. Normally it doesn't work that way and Windows usually if it does boot up will say you have a unvalidated installation.

Advertisements

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I would have gone with win 7 but had limited funds

When i restarted the comp after installing all the new parts i did get a message saying that i had to validate windows needless to say that was a pain in the butt

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is what I figured.
You see with a OEM preinstallation once the installation is complete the OS becomes what is called Married to the hardware that is originally in that system. This one makes it very hard to change components at least the main ones without a big hassle.
Second if you read what Microsoft says about a OEM installation it is NOT TRANSFERRABLE and YOU MUST reinstall a new OS.
I understand your situation but it just would be better to live without the sound for now until you can afford Win7.
Format the system and do a fresh install of Win7.
This way there will be no old drivers installed.
Also with replacing the components as you did putting a old OS like XP on it is a gamble since support for XP is ending in a year. You will not be able to get any security updates after that which leaves your system open to attacks. You are in GeekU so you know what I mean. :)
I will almost guarantee if you do a format and install Win7 your issue will go away.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So in the meantime if i can find a copy of windows XP and re-install that that should fix my problem until i can get win 7 am i correct to assume that ??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as it is a OEM version and the right type. Home, Media or Pro.
It has to match the originally installed OS so that they reg key that should be attached to your system either on the side, back or bottom will work

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I think i have an XP disk kicking around here somewhere but not sure where it came from but it should be XP home which is what is installed now.

Thank you for your time and help

Panthertooth

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
OK i just found an OS disk it's for a dell computer, will this work ??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope will not work because it is specifically for a Dell so it will load the wrong drivers again.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
If i was to get a sound card and use that instead of on-board that should help shouldn't it ? Since my main problem is just with the sound

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes and it will disable the onboard automatically.
There should be a drivers disk with it so load those to be sure.

Advertisements

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I think that is what i am gonna do, little bit cheaper for the time being till i can upgrade my OS and hard drive

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah a new pci soundcard you can pickup for less then 15 dollars.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
OK here is where i am at now,

I found an OEM version of windows from a friend and here is what i am wondering

A: could i use my D drive which is my recovery partition to install the version of windows and then boot from there

or

B: can i partition my C drive and install windows on there without losing whatever files etc i have there now

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

A: could i use my D drive which is my recovery partition to install the version of windows and then boot from there

Most recovery partitions will format the drive so I wouldn't suggest trying that.

B: can i partition my C drive and install windows on there without losing whatever files etc i have there now

No need for all that when we can simply do a Repair Installation right over the existing Windows installation.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So this will get rid of all the crappy drivers that came with the system, and also not mess with my files etc ??