Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Home Basic Locks up after login

• Please log in to reply

thamasta

thamasta

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi. The other day I got my netbook out so I could set it up for school. Everytime I turned the netbook on however, within a couple of minutes of logging in, everything freezes up. Explorer.exe crashes and everytime is restarts it crashes immediatley. Everything will work for about 30 seconds after explorer.exe restarts and then freeze again. I did a fresh install from USB and the first time the desktop loaded, I got the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick update, the problem details when the popup saying Windows Explorer has stopped working are as follows:

Problem Event Type: InPageCoFire
Error Status Code: c0000185
Faulting Media Type: 0000003
Damaged file name: uxtheme.dll
OS Version: 6.1.7301.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Edited by thamasta, 09 August 2011 - 06:14 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot to Safe Mode and run System File Checker: sfc /scannow

Have you modded anything in the Windows 7 you are installing from USB. Made a Theme change or something like that?

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
When I run sfc /scannow:

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 1% complete.

Windows Resource Protetion could not preform the requested operation.

Happens everytime I try to run it.

Nothing is modded at all.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The only other thing I can think of is to test memory and hard disk. This is not easy to do with a netbook as there is no CD drive.

I found this: memtest from USB flash drive

Memory tester is here: Memtest86+

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
[url="http://"http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html"]HD Diagnostic[/url]

You will need to find a way to get the iso (bootable CD image) onto a flash drive. Everything I read says you need the HP USB Disk Storage Format tool as a starting point.

An alternative would be to buy or borrow an external USB CD drive. I'm sure the netbook will boot from it. That would simplify this process considerably.

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Well the USB CD drive was a great idea. My friend had one and let me borrow that as well as his copy of Windows 7 and I was able to install it and everything is working fine, so it must have been something just wrong with my copy. Thanks for the help. :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good to hear.

How did you get your copy of Windows 7? Did you buy it or download it? Might be a good idea to make a copy of your friends so you will have it if you need it in the future.